Genetics creating barred Araucana

i really like your birds this spring i want to work on this colour i have BBR araucanas but i need to somehow get myself a black pair and a pair of barred rocks I'm all the way up here in canada so its gonna be a challenge for me to get black araucanas. i do know some breeders but i don't believe they have blacks. good luck with your birds

I just got me a pair of araucana. The hen is so tiny. Definitely thinking bantam... She is splash and double tufted. The rooster is a clean faced blue barred araucana. Both rumpless. I am interested in seeing what I get from them. I've heard I will get blue, blue barred, and splash barred. So we shall see. I'm not sure of their bloodlines or anything. So who knows what I will get. Very exciting tho!

Posting for a friend. Any thoughts on this beautiful barred boy? Is this crele or cuckoo and whats up with the straw hackles? Leakage or variation of normal?

cockerel i bred from roo in my profile pic and blue red leaky hen.
Thoughts?

his hackles are that gold cuckoo colour with blue centres. stunning.

I do not think Barred Araucanas exist however that gave me an idea that maybe the mottled rooster that I have could be used to create a barred coloring. You can see how it is not unsimilar although I am not a breeding expert.

I do not think Barred Araucanas exist however that gave me an idea that maybe the mottled rooster that I have could be used to create a barred coloring. You can see how it is not unsimilar although I am not a breeding expert.
Araucana tend to be fast feathering and so that make barring difficult, however cuckoo araucana definately exist. We have a couple members of the Araucana Club of America who are working on the cuckoo araucana.

To explain the difference between barring and cuckoo. A fast feathered birds grows it feathers, well faster and the feather growth does not give adequate time for nice crisp strips required to be a barred bird, so they have messy bars and are considered cuckoo.

Barred birds are slow feathering. Their feather develop slower which allows the time needed for the pigments to be placed crisply and create the barred pattern.

Thats a simple explanation for a complex process as other genes are involved like sex linked genes. LOL!

Lanae

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom