Genetics Experts: Can you get Lavender from B/B/S?

It seems as if some breeders are throwing in a line stating "may carry lavender" so as to influence a buyer for either eggs or birds. There should be no doubt if a breeder is keeping track of which chicks/eggs come from which matings.
roll.png

I think people sometimes tend to confuse a visually Lavender bird with a visually Splash Blue colored bird- but only splashes that show hardly any of the actual "splash" markings. Where their appearance overall looks like a even very pale blue color. They see a bird like this and they automatically jump the gun and call it "self blue". They do some digging and find out that "self blue" is another term for a Lavender bird, and before you know it they are now calling their splash bird with hardly any markings... a Lavender bird! So then when they advertise their BBS birds they may also state "can produce Lav chicks, etc." due to their ignorance (ignorance in this context meaning their lack of education on the subject, not trying to call anyone unintelligent, don't hate me!) of the visual genetics.

I've seen some splash birds that could pass for Lavenders (if you squinted really hard
tongue.png
) but genetically they are BBS, not Lavender at all.

Did I help Kathy?
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I read that on here also. Which added to my confusion.

Quote:
Confusing, yes. What do you mean it "looks," lavender? You mean it is a light blue, in fact?

What do you mean, "it can be called Self Blue?"

So Lavender and Self Blue are not necessarily the same color - but they can be inter-changable in some breeds?

Last edited:
Quote:
Confusing, yes. What do you mean it "looks," lavender? You mean it is a light blue, in fact?

There even blue throughout the body with no lacing just like a lavender (self blue) but they do not carry the Lavender Gene because there bred from Blues.... They basically bred for a lighter more even in color Andalusian Blue with no dark lacing.
If you sat a true lavender self blue chicken next to a self blue chicken bred from a Andalusian Blue you could not tell witch one had the lavender gene and witch one didn't.

it can be called Self Blue

Because they are a even color blue color throughout the body with no lacing they can be called a self blue and be shown as self blue variety.

( they would not be a Splash )

Chris​

Quote:
I read that on here also. Which added to my confusion.

Quote:

So Lavender and Self Blue are not necessarily the same color - but they can be inter-changable in some breeds?

OK,
All Lavenders are Self Blues,
but not all Self Blues are Lavenders.......

Chris

Quote:
The ones I am talking about are not a Splash....

They breed just like a Blue and NOT like a Splash...
When you breed them to Black you get (Blue and Black) and not 100% Blue as you would with a Splash/ Black breeding.....

Chris

Last edited:
Lavender is lavender but after they are accepted in to the ABA they will more than likely be designated as self blue.

A light blue bird is just that light blue or a very washed out splash. There is a distinct difference between a lavender bird and a light blue or washed out splash.

Back
Top Bottom