Genetics Experts: Can you get Lavender from B/B/S?

Quote:
I believe one way to determine if a bird is a true pure lavender is to look at the feather shafts on the wings and tail. Of the shaft on the top (upper) side of the wing is lighter than the shaft on the bottom (underside) then it is a lavender. If the shaft coloring is the same then it is a splash/blue.

Oh, and it is possible to have blue and lavender (or splash and lavender) in the same bird, which complicates matters! This seems to happen most often in silkies.

Last edited:
Kathy its is possible if their birds had a lavender gene parent, then they will carry a single gene of the lavender parent and one gene of the non lavender parent. But you have to "know" that the parent was a lavender. I've been following the explanations closely for lavenders since I have them from folks like Suze, Deb and Bren. If you breed a chick back to that parent then you can produce a full lavender. But its much harder to tell a washed out splash from a lavender bird so it becomes a cr@p shoot on what you'll get. That is the biggest reason they have recommended you never breed a lavender to anything other than a black.

If the people that are claiming their b/b/s birds can produce lavender then I would ask for proof that they have lavender birds in their flock. Other wise chances are they are calling either a light blue or washed out splash lavender. My lavender birds came from Deb and Bren. Two of the people that got the lavender color going after years of work.

The color gene in a b/b/s bird versus a lavender bird are completely different. Without two copies of that gene you can not get lavender.

Now without ANY pics on this thread it makes it tough to get CHRIS09 to understand what you ladies are asking. Last nite I took a half dozen pics, emailed them to Kathyinmo. There is top side underside wing feather pics. 4 different angles of pics of the same BLUE in addition to this one pic I have here, witch is the pic that got everyone wondering? And to a few who are very upset that I have this bird and his daddy and wanted to tell me to get rid (cull) them, I am not. So IF you want to see those 6 exta pics write me. You MIGHT feel more comfortable writing Kathy. She now has the pics I sent to her in an email. I am sure she would be delited to forward them to anyone who is curious. Or even better, Kathy can now show them here and MAYBE give CHRIS09 a better idea of what she and the ladies are talking about.

Just to make sure everyone know. I do not plan on SELLING my PROJECT birds or their eggs. Lavender Orpingtons and self Blue Orpington's are a PROJECT not a PUREBRED bird. I do call them a PROJECT IF someone asked me what they are. Unfortunately some think I do not understand that PROJECT means NOT PURE. One of the best well known Lav breeders have stated time and time again here, these are PROJECTS. So this is my PROJECT. Making a Doug Akers Orp that is not a Buff. IF you folks want to call them another word other then PROJECT or MUTT, go for it.
AND IF you want them 6 new pics just ask. I would LOVE to show them.
Here is the pic of the bird, we ALL want to not see in my yard

Oh forgot to say. I will call this bird what ever Chris says he thinks it is. I already told Kathy what 2 high profile Lav breeders told me yesterday. and am comfortable with Chris's expertise

387547355.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
The Ameraucana Breeders Club is going to designate the name "Lavender" to those birds that carry the lavender gene when they are accepted....hopefully in the next year or two. The terms "self-blue" and "lavender" are actually reffering to the same thing. It just depends on where you are in the world. Kind of like magma and lava...same molten rock just depends where it's located. I believe the english use the term self blue for lavender. Lavender is a recessive diluter gene and can only be passed on if the parents have that gene. You CANNOT get Lavender by breeding BBS that don't carry the lav gene. Many people are mistaking (or misleading) light blues as lavenders since they are in such demand. Lavenders also do not have lacing, blues should. If in doubt do a test mating with a black. Lav x black will give you 100% visually black chicks. Blue x Black will give you 50% blue and 50% black. To be visually lavender the bird must carry two sets of the lav gene.

Quote:
There is an old thread on here, I can't find it, where the genotype of a very even light blue bird (Cochin?) was in question. A lot of very educated breeders couldn't agree on whether it was blue or lavender. Test matings to a black bird produced 26 black chicks. Although some argued that the sample may not be large enough to be definitive, that pretty much settled the debate. Lavender she was dubbed!

lildinkem -

The bird in the picture is out of B/B/S with no Lavender added, right?

if so then to me it looks like the start of a Non-Lavender Self Blue. It isn't a even Blue like in a Self Blue but it isn't a Blue (Andalusian Blue) I also don't think it is a Splash.
What you could do is breed that bird to a Black colored bird and if you get Blue and Black then it is a Blue if when crossed to a Black colored bird you get all Blue then it is a Splash...
If it is Blue (not Splash or Lavender) I would say with some time and careful breeding you could get a very nice even color Non-Lavender Self Blue...

Chris

Last edited:
Why not just breed Him back to its known mother, she is or must be carrying the gene and will confirm its lavender or not.. you will want to hatch as many chicks as possible because you will only get % of pure lavenders from the hatches if indeed it is lav..

he does kind of look a lot like are earlier stock did..he more than likely has blood from our stock from the past..sold tons and tons of black splits, eggs and lavenders all over the place ..so basically almost every tom, dick and harry has them now..
its just a matter of improving the stock & or the breed which one is using them for, which i know many are working on them and other breeds with them, which improving them is the ultimate goal for any of these birds..perfection is not far off for the Lavender Orpington that i do know..if you got them please do work on them, if you don't, please do get some and help get them were we all want them be here in the USA..

older pic's
100_6433.jpg

100_6426.jpg

021408016.jpg

021408018.jpg

orpingtonlavenderbalcksplit002_fina.jpg

Lav041909006.jpg

Lav041909021.jpg

lavendersee013-1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom