Genetics Experts: Can you get Lavender from B/B/S?

This is Lavender Ameraucanas. See the color of the chick down? This is what lavender chick down looks like.

31282_lavenders_and_orps_002.jpg

Quote:
Kathy you know the first Bluish chick I shown on this thread, came out yellow too. I hatch like 40 plus eggs at a time. I had a dozen Ameraucana in with the first boy and his mates. When he hatched I would swear he was one of the Ameraucana babies. He was yellow like this. I noticed about a week ago he was an Orp or BUS ORP mutant. And I knew he had to be from the BUS cause none of the other two pens have any birds that can produce a splash. Their all Blue to Blacks or Black to Black. And we haven't figued out what the heck the BUS is thrwoing like. A Black or BUFF. Those are the only two choices. So maybe the yellow down is Buff, but will the adult plumage be the same?

Last edited:
LAV MOTTLED ORP..
100_6176-1.jpg

Lav mottled and black mottled
100_6177.jpg

100_6181.jpg

lav mottled, mottling just about gone
100_6432.jpg

black mottled siblings
100_6433.jpg

However the mottling on this lav chick basically disappeared(incomplete) as it matured and he looked 100% lav when we sold him. but it is a carrier of the Mottling, Tony has this boy and a female that went with him....

We kept some black mottled siblings and cross bred them back to each other, we selected a few of there offspring which are 100% mottled and we are in the process of re breeding them again to black orps..some of these projects are drawn out, but well worth the work involved beings we don't have mottled orps in the USA mind you yet..lol
one must focus on the project at hand and be devoted to it....stay the course no matter what any one says..
i love the folks that said ooo those don't look like orpingtons, of course they don't look like UK types, but more of the USA conformation is what the focus is on all of our USA orpington projects..
I don't live in the UK nor do i want to and so we make them as they should be,, USA standard is the goal and anything other than that is redundant

But yet those that put these projects down sure went to great lengths to obtain them from us..and still today try to make them look bad, but in fact they look bad themselves and come off as being two faced..
hugs.gif
smack.gif

should be some nice Mottled Orps from them end of next year 2011 possibly some lavender mottled as well if we kept the correct ones, of course the lav mottles aren't as impressive as the reg black mottled orps..but this mottled project is mainly focused on black mottled orps..

Heres what tufts look like on a lav araucana
cagesaraucana012-1.jpg

p.s. no muffs or beards used in any of our Lavender project birds here..

Last edited:
Charlie you hit the nail on the head. It is a young project to me. I am not coming in on a genration 4, I am entering just "past go". A second generation mix that has the gene. Not in both parents. It is in one of them. And your idea of taking one of these boys back to their mom is right on. I can then decide how and who I want to breed. I am light years behind. But, I am out of the starting gates. Better then ANYONE would think a week ago. I think no one should be mad. I like to play around with these. And having your pics here really gives me a good feeling about the Lavender project. And even IF he is not pure I am IN the project. And can thank you Charlie.
Charlie as you said, you did your part. Now it is up to the rest of us to make a go. You were more then generous to have shared the gene. And folks here have to now make it happen! Good luck folks.

Last edited:
Charlie,
Have you ever thought of taking a Speckled Sussex to a Lavender? I bet that would be a wild and cool look.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom