Genetics people I need Help!

Oh thanks Cynthia - I got confused about the 3 weeks, I have been speaking to a lot of experienced breeders, picking their brains. The last one I discussed it with said he had to wait a month to get the eggs he wanted and it normally only takes 3 weeks, so what he must have meant is that he was still getting the previous cockerel's eggs after 4 weeks. That will be useful info. for me next year - I will be doing a fair bit of swopping around with the Orpingtons. Perhaps any outcrossings are best done right at the beginning of the season then - I hope you are lucky with Suede - he would make a fine foundation. Perhaps you could bring them into your kitchen for a bit of privacy? (joke, lol)
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Adam - I am a comparative novice at this game, but a very enthusiastic novice, and as far as genetics are concerned I have just about got the basics of blues into my head - I can find out how to make silver laced though. I know it is based on bringing in a single comb silver laced Wyandotte, and I will find out the rest from a very experienced Cochin breeder I am friendly with and get back to you - it may not be for a couple of weeks though. Perhaps someone who knows much more about genetics will come along here in the meantime.

Hi JLove - I am going to find out about the silver laced from a Cochin breeder who has actually done it with Cochins. It took him 6 years mind you, before they were breeding true. Long term project!

By the way, being English, I am adjusting to the terms you use and am getting used to seeing "Roo" - presumably short for "Rooster". Here we say cockerel or boy. We used to be able to say "C..k" without everybody sniggering about it, as short for cockerel, but that seems to be a four letter, unacceptable, word these days, and I believe forums do not allow its use anyway. That is why we tend to say, on the British forums, "boys" and "girls" or cockerels, hen and pullets.

Please do let me know if I make any mistakes and offend sensibilities.

http://www.orpingtons.co.uk

The link above will allow you to feast your eyes on some lovely Orps. It is the website of Rob Boyd, who has now retired from breeding. He bred many lovely birds and most of the good quality Orpingtons in the South of England are his line. He brought our first Gold Laced Orpingtons in from Germany a few years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow those orps are such puffballs they remind me of cochins...lol

So much eye candy. I find it hard to believe somebody...anybody hasn't already started a varied orpington breeding program here in the states.

Julie
smile.png

Theresa - Nothing you said was offensive.

Terms commonly used here:

Cock, Roo, Rooster = mature male
Cockerel = young male

Hen = mature female
Pullet = young female

Straight run = unsexed chicks
As hatched = unsexed chicks

Also, I checked out the site you posted and Holy Chicken those Orps are gorgeous. I love the varities of color. Also, the black exhibition Roo is unbelievable.

Julie - I can't believe no one here has started any variations here as well. Even blues, blacks and splashes are not that common, much less the jubilee and laced varieties. It's darn right sad.

Coming on nicely JLove - I think people will be bowled over by them - did you breed them? Can't say for sure, but possibly, both cockerels? Certainly the one at the back looks like a boy?

Thanks Teresa,

I figure the Silver laced must work similar to the Golden so why not do both! I look forward to what your friend has to say.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom