Genetics people I need Help!

Oh no! Those lovely jubilees aren't mine. I was posting a pic i found for someone that hadn't seen them. I have never seen or heard of any in the US.

The jubilee orpington is not recognized by the powers that be in the US. I love their look and dream of having a flock of blues, blacks and jubilees.

I'm in on this Orp breeding thing! I have been trying for a couple of months to find some of the beautiful colors they have in Europe over here, but haven't had any luck. Also, their Orps are so huge, round and fluffy - I want to try to breed for that, also. I am definitely getting an Orp obsession!!!

Lori

Hi Guys:)
smile.png
smile.png

Sorry it has taken me a while but I have now talked to my friend who is a very experienced breeder of Cochins. His advice:-

To create a silver laced Orp. Find a single comb silver laced Wyandotte Cockerel and mate him with black Orp female(s) - the very best show quality if you can, so you start off with good raw material. The result will be chicks which are semi laced. Pick out the best - one cockerel with perhaps 2 of his sisters and breed them together. Keep doing this inbreeding and selecting. You will have to cull a lot or if you cannot bring yourself to do that perhaps cockerels for the pot but be careful about selling the females (as pet quality as the colour would not be right anyway - you don't want to give away your hard work to someone who will just take a short cut to getting the colour you want (best to make sure they go to someone who does not keep cockerels). Anyway keep selecting and inbreeding the best. It may take 6 years to get where you want and for them to breed true. Because you are inbreeding it is best if you colaborate with others doing exactly the same thing so you can swop stock when inbreeding-type weaknesses start to creep in. Or perhaps you could run 2 breeding pens so that you can swop yourself. When they are breeding true you may have to outcross to the Orpington again and go through the inbreeding process again to get the true Orpington quality and type. When you get there you can then work towards getting your new colour standardised - long term project! By then others will have acquired some and will be working on improving them too.

To make gold laced Orp. His advice is look for a buff Orp cockerel of show quality but DARKER than most. Put him to a gold laced single comb Wyandotte hen and then proceed as per above.

As for how to make the jubilee - I am not exactly sure but you could try outcrossing buff Orp to speckled Sussex and going through the process as per above.

Good luck and hopefully others will post their ideas here too - I am sure there are other way of achieving the process. Probably best not to outcross to a Barnevelder because you might get yellow legs cropping up, and Orps must not have yellow legs.

Well - what do you think?

With best wishes

Teresa

GENIUS! It makes sense to me. I am on it!
I LOVE YOU TERESA!

Who is in with me! God I have to find a place to do this!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
This has been some interesting reading, I would love to have some of those also. Makes me want to give it a try too but I am so new to the chicken raising thing (only been doing this for 6 weeks or so now). Maybe after I get up and running I could give it a try, or maybe you all will have perfected it by then and I could just buy some eggs to incubate.
smile.png

Jayare

Quote:
You are right Adam, those are beautiful birds. The first time I saw those, I actually took a Pic of the computer screen with a dig. camera! I have been thinking the same as you.........."wondering how to come up with this color in Orp's? I'll buy all you can supply, if and when you can do it!!!! And I'm sure a lot of others feel the same way! Good Luck..!

Back
Top Bottom