Genetics Professor looking for Albino Chicken Feathers

Hi MysteryChicken,

Thanks for following up! I'm not sure about the chicken you show in the picture. How much do you know about the details for this chicken? When you say "split" are you just referring to the fact that it has some appearance of being albino, but doesn't look completely albino? or are you using the term "split" to refer to the genetics? For example, do you know whether it has one copy of the normal gene and one copy of the albino gene? Or does "split" mean that this is a sex-linked gene and this is a male with one copy?

Sorry for all the detailed questions... I'm interested in this chicken, but unfortunately, I don't know enough of the chicken breeding lingo to know what "split" means.

thanks,
Rod
Split sex-linked albinism. Has one copy of the sex-linked albino genes.
He has very pink skin, & his eyes are a bit more pink then orange.

I got him from a barnyard mix hatching eggs this spring. So all I know is that he's mixed Black Copper Maran, & a Gamefowl. Not sure of the genes the parents carried, so I believe the Gamefowl side has the genetics for albino.

Last edited:
Split sex-linked albinism. Has one copy of the sex-linked albino genes.
He has very pink skin, & his eyes are a bit more pink then orange.

I got him from a barnyard mix hathing eggs this spring. So all I know is that he's mixed Black Copper Maran, & a Gamefowl. Not sure of the genes the parents carried, so I believe the Gamefowl side has the genetics for albino.

Hi MysteryChicken,
That's very helpful. The form of albinism that I know something about (the one I can definitely do some genetic testing on) is the autosomal (non sex-linked) form. So I'm not as interested in the sex linked form, but it might be interesting (once I've got the genetic test up and running) to compare the autosomal version with the sex-linked version. If you are interested in following up (and I can't promise any meaningful results) and want to send me some feathers (just because you might be curious to know?), I'd welcome getting samples from you that I might use in the future. You could just send them to me in a regular mail envelope (no ice, no special delivery, etc.). If you want to follow up, please send me a message via email ([email protected]) and I'll give you my mailing address. But if that sounds like too much work on your end, don't feel obliged to follow up.
Thanks!
Rod

Hi MysteryChicken,
That's very helpful. The form of albinism that I know something about (the one I can definitely do some genetic testing on) is the autosomal (non sex-linked) form. So I'm not as interested in the sex linked form, but it might be interesting (once I've got the genetic test up and running) to compare the autosomal version with the sex-linked version. If you are interested in following up (and I can't promise any meaningful results) and want to send me some feathers (just because you might be curious to know?), I'd welcome getting samples from you that I might use in the future. You could just send them to me in a regular mail envelope (no ice, no special delivery, etc.). If you want to follow up, please send me a message via email ([email protected]) and I'll give you my mailing address. But if that sounds like too much work on your end, don't feel obliged to follow up.
Thanks!
Rod
Okay, will do.

Hi MysteryChicken,

Thanks for following up! I'm not sure about the chicken you show in the picture. How much do you know about the details for this chicken? When you say "split" are you just referring to the fact that it has some appearance of being albino, but doesn't look completely albino? or are you using the term "split" to refer to the genetics? For example, do you know whether it has one copy of the normal gene and one copy of the albino gene? Or does "split" mean that this is a sex-linked gene and this is a male with one copy?

Sorry for all the detailed questions... I'm interested in this chicken, but unfortunately, I don't know enough of the chicken breeding lingo to know what "split" means.

thanks,
Rod
Save yourself some time, effort and headaches.
That chicken has nothing to do with being any type of albino and that poster is infamous for jumping to the most outrageous conclusions about genes involved with her birds.

Since Autosomal Albinism in Chickens is an alleleic mutation of recessive white(C+ is the non-recessive white gene, c is recessive white and c^a is autosomal albinism), you may want to study recessive white plumage too.
I've been studying alot of different types of chicken color genes.

Back
Top Bottom