Genetics Q&A

Kedreeva

Longfeather Lane
13 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Michigan
I am currently working on a spreadsheet which deals with peafowl genetics because I've been asked a lot of questions about offspring and combinations etc and I wanted it written down. It is NOT AT ALL complete, I only started designing and filling it out like a week ago, but I am getting toward the point where I'm going to run into the colors newer than sonja's violeta and I need to know what is known about them so far.

As near as I have been able to find, Hazel and Indigo are both combinations of bronze and purple, but I have not found any information about how, EXACTLY they are different GENETICALLY. I know they look different, but since this is for genetics, I need to know more than that.

I have been told that reportedly Steel and Montana are both true, single mutations rather than combinations of previous mutations.

I am lacking any and all information about the genetics of Platinum, Ivory, and Mahogany.

I know a minor amount about Elfenbien, but if more about the specific genetics has been discovered since the last time I looked, I could use that information as well.

If you'd like to look at the spreadsheet in progress, here is the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j2xntNyAZQ08MqaLUhYTUJaXicuhX8AEB7OWHQfsdHc/

That being said I am not looking for feedback on the sheet, since I'm still constructing and editing it. I just need information on the genetics of the colors I'm unfamiliar with.

I'm already talking to augeredin, but he didn't have answers for these questions. Brad I will talk to if I have to, but I don't know Sid, do you have a contact for them?

I'm already talking to augeredin, but he didn't have answers for these questions. Brad I will talk to if I have to, but I don't know Sid, do you have a contact for them?
Sids number is on their web and FB page, I can PM it to you if you don't find it. Brad registered seven new colors two years ago so he will be able to tell you everything you need to know. I have his application papers to the UPA somewhere but finding them is another matter.

Steel and Platinum were first bred by Clifton Nicholson so my sources tell me, Montana came out of a flock of IB's in Montana hence the name, Platinum is a combination of Opal and Bronze and originally went by the name Noir opal, then Mocha, then Platinum. Hazel and Indigo are interesting in that if you breed them to each other you get a 50/50 split hazel and indigo. in the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom