Genetics question (orpingtons)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cocky, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Cocky

Cocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    I was wondering what you would get with some of the following crosses. (all orpingtons)

Buff roo x white hen
    Buff roo x blue hen
    Buff roo x black hen

And, I think they would all still be considered pure bred, but I'm not sure. Am I correct?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Well, they'd all be orpingtons, but I'd be unhappy if they were sold to me as purebred orpingtons.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You'd get purebred Orpingtons in non-standard colors, but like Katy said, most people want standard colors. Some people on BYC have bred Blues with Buffs and the chicks are very cute. I haven't seen pics of the grown birds, though. I'm not sure what you'd get mixing colors with white and black. It could vary some.

4. Cocky

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    I don't sale the birds, and even if I did I would be sure to let any perspective buyer know EXACTLY what they were getting. I am just trying to figure the genetics out and would like to know what would come out of these crosses.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    A mess! Not pure bred by definition.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I would be unhappy too.....to me those would be considered mutts....reasoning would be I could not breed them and get a pure chick or sell the eggs as pure.....buff...blue...black ...splash or white in orpingtons.....to each of those I would have to have a rooster of that specific color...buff...blue/black/splash or a white orp roo....

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

And we still haven't answered his question, LOL. Honestly, I don't know and it could vary from chick to chick crossing those colors. I'd much rather have the proper colored Orpington myself.

8. Cocky

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    I think most of you misunderstand my intentions. I don't want to sell these birds the second question was just a last minute addition b/c I was curious if they would be considered pure breeds.

The main thing I wanted to know was what the crosses would look like if I crossed them.

Have a buff roo, and would like to buy some hens to go with him. I am going to buy a buff hen so I can get some true pure breeds, but I was wondering what would happen if I bred him with the other colors. Does anyone know what they would look like or maybe even have some pics?

9. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

You'd get some interesting, colorful birds! Go for it. [​IMG]

10. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I have seen some and with Black and buff it turned out black with red on the wings. with the blue buff mix you can get a varience of blue under feathering with some reddish buff on wings to black lacing on the breast area. I don't know about white. Usually white might produce white or you might just get buff with the hidden gene recessive.. I have a cockeral named sunshine from a Splash over buff cross and he is cream and brown in unusual ways. Of course he will not be in my breeding pens. Probably give to a friend. He hatch brown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by