Genotype of Norwegian Jærhøns?

Ylva

Songster
Jun 3, 2021
Norway
Does anyone know the genotype of the Norwegian jærhøns (and Bantam jærhøns)?

It is an autosexing breed, and they are barred. They come in two colour variations, but the only information I can find on Norwegian websites is that they are called “brown-yellow” and “yellow-brown”. 😅 What is the difference in their genotype?

Bantam jærhøns (pictures found online):
IMG_4735.jpeg
IMG_4734.jpeg

Jærhøns (picture found online):
IMG_4733.jpeg

They are so lovely! To me, they appear to be partridge based with the pattern gene and barring.
I would almost say they are cream but I actually think the light coloring of the males is due to heavy expression of barring.

I agree! 🥰 I got some bantam jærhøns hatching eggs this summer, and they turned out to be the friendliest hens I’ve ever had. They are really trusting, curious, cold hardy and surprisingly good fliers.
They even started laying at around 16 weeks, so they seem a good breed to continue breeding. “Unfortunately” 6 out of 6 of my hatched chicks were female. 😅

One of my bantam hens:
IMG_3438.jpeg

I agree! 🥰 I got some bantam jærhøns hatching eggs this summer, and they turned out to be the friendliest hens I’ve ever had. They are really trusting, curious, cold hardy and surprisingly good fliers.
They even started laying at around 16 weeks, so they seem a good breed to continue breeding. “Unfortunately” 6 out of 6 of my hatched chicks were female. 😅

One of my bantam hens:
View attachment 3702877
Awwww!
I sent hatching eggs to someone once and they turned out mostly male 🙄

Back
Top Bottom