German New Hampshire

Reece line I think.

I still have hopes for more. I ran the incubator on the lower side of the temp range because I had an early hatch last time. So I'm not calling it over until Monday. Always a toss up with shipped eggs too, since I'm up in the PNW.

Lark Rise is shipping me a dz of hers next week, so I'll get a flock going one way or another. I've been running a mixed laying flock, mostly barred rocks, and plan to replace them with NH's this fall. I'm hoping to use the Buckeye/Walter Hogan assessment to work on the laying part of the dual purpose, but only using birds that meet the weight standard for breeding.

Reece line I think.

I still have hopes for more. I ran the incubator on the lower side of the temp range because I had an early hatch last time. So I'm not calling it over until Monday. Always a toss up with shipped eggs too, since I'm up in the PNW.

Lark Rise is shipping me a dz of hers next week, so I'll get a flock going one way or another. I've been running a mixed laying flock, mostly barred rocks, and plan to replace them with NH's this fall. I'm hoping to use the Buckeye/Walter Hogan assessment to work on the laying part of the dual purpose, but only using birds that meet the weight standard for breeding.
If you got NH eggs from Jeremy in NE, they were most likely his cross of German NH male over Reese (Good Shepherd) females. I got a few dozen and had a good hatch rate...21...very nice chicks/birds especially the females.
smile.png

If you got NH eggs from Jeremy in NE, they were most likely his cross of German NH male over Reese (Good Shepherd) females. I got a few dozen and had a good hatch rate...21...very nice chicks/birds especially the females.
smile.png
I was just calculating my past hatch rates, and this one was definitely an anomaly. I'll have to chalk it up to operator error and/or shipping violence. Ugh! They are such cool birds I can't wait to have my own flock.

I haven't visited this thread in a while, but thought of it recently and was reminded again by e-mail notification today.

I live in Maine, I have two NH pullets that I believe just started laying. I have no NH males. Is there anyone in New England who has New Hampshires (German line), specifically males?
Too bad you are so far, I have about 3 cockerels.
hmm.png

I have ordered eggs and chicks with little success. I want to get the GNH in my Hambars. I DO have an unrelated pair to breed my own GNH. But not sure I have the room for another breed. Maybe i need to build a new coop....but that might be the final straw for my husband, who doesn't even want chickens. (but he sure likes the eggs)

Back
Top Bottom