German New Hampshire

Feathers on the legs appears to be common in these, but if removed they don't seem to come back. I am selecting against it in my breedings. I think we can get rid of it.

Walt

Thanks everyone! It shocked me when I walked out 1 day and noticed leg feathers.
I got these on wim to see how they'd mature out.

Walt, are you saying that you aren't using birds that carry leg feathers in the breeding pens?

Thanks everyone! It shocked me when I walked out 1 day and noticed leg feathers.
I got these on wim to see how they'd mature out.

Walt, are you saying that you aren't using birds that carry leg feathers in the breeding pens?

No.....if I did that I would have to cull every New Hamp I have. I am new to these German NH's, but not new to dealing with stubs. I am using only the birds with wispy feathers on their legs and not many of them at that. The birds with real feathers on the shanks will not be used for breeding. We have to use what we have. I don't think it will be long before the feathers on the shanks go away once we start culling heavily to eliminate it. We will get throwbacks for a few generations, but it can be eliminated.

Walt

Last edited:
Hi Walt,

I got German New Hampshire eggs from two sources both hatched chicks with stubs on their shanks. Looks like we're in the same boat. LOL With that said I do like how they are growing out and there are lots of things that I like about them.

None of my hens or cocks have any stubs. So far none of the growers do, but I am going to pull them off of the roost tonight and sort through them. I had quite a few last year with them, but I did not keep any.
Mine are from two sources also. None of the birds that I got from Kathy, grew out with stubs. More than half of the birds from the other source did have stubs. I did not keep those. I did not know that you could work on it as Walt described.
I intend to keep my pens free of them. I am not going to keep any that have stubs. They bug me.

What I have seen is that it is more established in the pure German birds. It is not as common in the birds from the initial crosses. I imagine that it could start showing up in the next generations, but could be culled for.

Would pulling stubs for the show, be considered faking?

If I had culled through the Catalanas for everything that they should have been culled for, I would not have any either. I had to settle on some things. One point in particular bugs me, and I had to stop culling for it.

None of my hens or cocks have any stubs. So far none of the growers do, but I am going to pull them off of the roost tonight and sort through them. I had quite a few last year with them, but I did not keep any.
Mine are from two sources also. None of the birds that I got from Kathy, grew out with stubs. More than half of the birds from the other source did have stubs. I did not keep those. I did not know that you could work on it as Walt described.
I intend to keep my pens free of them. I am not going to keep any that have stubs. They bug me.

What I have seen is that it is more established in the pure German birds. It is not as common in the birds from the initial crosses. I imagine that it could start showing up in the next generations, but could be culled for.

If I had culled through the Catalanas for everything that they should have been culled for, I would not have any either. I had to settle on some things. One point in particular bugs me, and I had to stop culling for it.

I have heard that it is acceptable to pull stubs/pluck middle toe feathers in Marans for showing. I read an article in the Marans Messenger where a judge said it should be done. Sounds like cheating/faking to me so I would like to know the answer to this as well and any input on why it is acceptable if it is.

I have heard that it is acceptable to pull stubs/pluck middle toe feathers in Marans for showing. I read an article in the Marans Messenger where a judge said it should be done. Sounds like cheating/faking to me so I would like to know the answer to this as well and any input on why it is acceptable if it is.

Pulling stubs for a show is faking.

Walt

I have a trio of the German strain, the only birds I will ever have just because I like them. Next to the bantams. I got mine from Paul Simmons, in Ohio; he is a close friend.

Back
Top Bottom