German New Hampshire

A few months ago I was fortunate enough to acquire my very first trio of Standard Large Fowl New Hampshires. I feel very blessed and extremely special for being able to start with such a nice group of birds as a rookie. Thank you Mr. Bill Braden for entrusting your birds to me. I know they are not perfect but they are far from mutts and the work I will have to do to improve them will be a wonderful educational experience for me and most importantly rewarding. Thank you Jeff (catdaddyfro) for having an open ear and words of wisdom as well as being a very motivating person. You truly are a kindred spirit. Please don't be afraid to comment on them. I'm here to learn and all input is greatly appreciated.
Nan

{I realize chickens are most definitely the hardest things to photograph, so excuse the pictures I will try to take better ones and repost}
{all they wanted to do was eat their alfalfa}

I'm here Nan,
smile.png

just waiting a bit to see if anybody else will comment yet.

You know I don't know if the GNH fad is dwindling a bit on here, probly is as these things come and go some more quickly than others. But I feel there was a lot left on the table still yet on the CSU session of the NHs. I sorta wished now they'd used something else besides NHs to start up the thread to learn how to make it fly(get off the ground so to speak). I hope that later on once a pattern is figured out we can revisit the NHs and maybe open up the SOP and start form the top and go to the bottom. (sorta like they used to do in school, well at least in my era when they used text books) LOL

Jeff

Jeff,

I agree, I think this forum has died off a bit I only hope that, like you said, the fad of NH's hasn't as well. That would be such a shame considering the flocks I have seen are just starting to look like the should. It took me 4 years to settle on the breeds (New Hamps and Nankin bantams) I have chosen and I'm in it for the long haul. Oh well I will keep posting the progress of my little micro flock and hope others will do the same. I set 6 eggs from this trio in the incubator last Friday, having to sit on my hands to keep from opening it up till day 7. Collecting another batch (hopefully 10 this time) to set on Sunday. My Hubby just shakes his head and keeps his comments to himself cause my chicken hobby is way less expensive then my horse hobby ever was. He is a very wise man. Providing everything goes according to plan I hope to hatch out 40 chicks from them this year which should allow me to add at least 4 to the breeding pen after culling. That is plan at least, I'll just have to see what happens. As for a comment on the trio fire away my friend, and don't sugar coat it. I want the hard facts so I know where to seriously focus my culling efforts.

OH and one last thing. I know you see that very light colored feather in the wing of one of the hens. I asked Mr. Braden about it he said that he was told this particular strain is notorious for that and that I should just take it out and hope it grows back the correct color. I have never deliberately removed a feather from a bird what are your thoughts, leave it till molt or jerk it out.

Nan

Last edited:
Hi Nan.

You're birds are sure as heck better than anything from any hatchery. I like Bill's birds and plan to add some of his to my flock. I truly thank Scott from Arkansas for taking eggs to Bill.

If you haven't sent Bill photo's of your birds, I will myself.

Take care and thank you for sharing with us photo's of some very beautiful young New Hampshires. I really like the looks of them!

Ron Presley

Mr. Presley,
Thank you for such kinds words about the birds. I can't take any credit for how they look but I will do my very best to try and keep my growing flock as good or better. They really are coming into themselves. Bill is such a wonderful man, I feel blessed to have been sent his way. I did send him pictures and he too liked them, especially the one hen. He told me just to remove the white feather from her and see what happens so that is what I plan to do. He also told me to give that lanky rooster some time to mature a bit more, I'm looking forward to seeing what he looks like after he molts. I really appreciate your encouragement and thank you again for commenting it means a lot to me.
Have a very blessed day,
Nan

I sold out last fall to someone who wanted them real bad.Two weeks ago at a cold chicken sale i bought back 28 chicks from my own stock.lol I can't seem to stay out of them.One of my pullets won at the Tulsa state fair last fall.I payed $25 per chick when the first got here but i made a bunch on ebay eggs.Scott is a buddy of mine and we don't live to far apart.

Well at least they found their way back to someone who knows what they are suppose to look like and will rear them up correctly
smile.png
. Fate can be a funny thing sometimes especially when you are least expecting it. Congratulations on your win, most impressive. I myself don't intend to show my birds. I did my competing as a young person in the horse arena and had my fill of the politics during my Daughters show years. I am raising them for my own enjoyment and to do my part to help preserve one of our treasured antiquities. Personally a think a flock of reds birds is one of the prettiest things to look at, Black Java's run a very close second to me but red is my most favorite. I let mine into the front yard to meander around and scratch under the leaves yesterday, I had neighbor (and a not so sociable type fella either) stop and tell me how nice the birds were. Those big 'ol New Hamp roosters with the sun shining on them are breath taking. He and I chatted for longer then we ever have in the 17 years that we have lived in our home, come to find out his Great Granddad raised RIR's when he was a youngster and he hadn't seen birds as "well finished" as mine since he was little. "Look nothin' like the "crap" most folks have these days shame to even call them chickens not much bigger then Blue Jays", made me giggle cause I could hear several of the Old Timers from here sounding just like him. He thinks he might have to get himself a few of my chicks when I have some extras. Tickled me pink! I invited him to come by anytime and visit, have a cup of coffee and of course grab a dozen fresh eggs to take home. He was a very delightful man and I'm sorry now that I didn't take more time to get to know him better over these past years. Before I know it everyone around me will have replaced their hatchery stock with the real mccoy, well if I have my way they will. Hope you all have a wonderful day.
Nan

A few months ago I was fortunate enough to acquire my very first trio of Standard Large Fowl New Hampshires. I feel very blessed and extremely special for being able to start with such a nice group of birds as a rookie. Thank you Mr. Bill Braden for entrusting your birds to me. I know they are not perfect but they are far from mutts and the work I will have to do to improve them will be a wonderful educational experience for me and most importantly rewarding. Thank you Jeff (catdaddyfro) for having an open ear and words of wisdom as well as being a very motivating person. You truly are a kindred spirit. Please don't be afraid to comment on them. I'm here to learn and all input is greatly appreciated.
Nan

{I realize chickens are most definitely the hardest things to photograph, so excuse the pictures I will try to take better ones and repost}
{all they wanted to do was eat their alfalfa}

You have good looking birds. Thank you for sharing pictures of them.

Back
Top Bottom