German New Hampshire

Thanks guys for the info. None of the pullets I have hold their tail to one side that’s why I didn’t think that I had a wry tail issue. All of their tails are basically like the birds in the pics I posted, very narrow with no to very little spread. I may have a couple pinched like in the pics that Banjoe posted but most if not all have almost no spread. So my question again is this… is this something that can be worked on with time and breeding or do I need to start looking for new birds because this just is not going to go away.

Chris
Guys,
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this tail issue that I have going on? Out of about a dozen pullets and hens, all but maybe two or three have completely pinched tails. The couple that I have with a little bit of a tee-pee going on, have no ticking around the neck but that's a different issue. What I'm really trying to find out is this....Is this something that I can work on and have any luck using the birds that I have now or is something where I would have to bring in outside birds with-in the same blood-line to try and improve the tails or ?????

I was hoping one of the older breeders could point me in the right direction with this problem but so far I have not had any luck finding any help with it.

Any suggestions would be great, Thanks,
Chris

Wry tail would be that she holds the tail to one side all the time.  She has pinched tail for sure.  Wry tail and pinched tail may go hand in hand, you may not be able to have wry tail without pinched tail.

Wry tail and pinched tail are not related. You can certainly have a bird with a wry tail that has the proper spread.

In this pic I have posted below it shows the back tail feathers of a 3-4 month old pullet. I'm wondering if some of the more experianced breeders could tell me if you think that the spread of the tail feathers or the Tee-Pee shape of the tail feathers will stay like they are in this pic as she continues to grow or is it still to early to say? Could it still become pinched?

I think that if she continues to grow and her tail feathers stay like this I will be happy. I would like them to be spread out a little further than this but this is better than the birds I have now and at least will give me some hope. This pullet was hatched from eggs I collected from my older birds.

Thanks,
Chris

It is what it is Chris
smile.png

I'm not an old experienced expert but I do know this: it's all decided in the genetic make-up of the bird. The tail stays however it is from hatch to death; the angle doesn't change with time, nor does the feather distribution about the only thing you may see in the next stage of molt is blacker feathers or she should be getting her pretty black tail feathers now at this age(12-16 wks) they will always look their best right before point of laying because after that point a lot of energy is diverted into production.

Jeff

I'm in need of chicks or eggs, if anyone has any for sale please let me know. I lost some and need to replace them.

here is part of a young herd of NH's that came in a round about way from Kathy's stock. She sent them to a friend as chicks and I am going to play with ten of them. Good job Kathy!

here is part of a young herd of NH's that came in a round about way from Kathy's stock. She sent them to a friend as chicks and I am going to play with ten of them. Good job Kathy!

Oh wow! I'm glad that you are going to be playing with the German NH's also. This is great news!

Chris

Wow!! you hit the mother load. I have a roo and two hens. One hen from Kathy directly from her first nh and a roo and hen from Beth I think by way of Kathy. The later are the darker ones like yours. The first had a lighter neck color. I love both kinds. My roo is 21 wks old and has never crowed.?? I don't know why unless it was because he was the subordinate roo to a Del until a wk ago. Maybe he will find his crow in a bit.
Its a wonderful morning in the mtns of NC. 58 degrees and the air is dry and nice. My hens are just a singing. Today I will do my last sale of the yr. on downsizing for winter. A bl orp, that's part English. I already have two and like to keep a lean group to feed and for eggs after Aug. I wazined(wormed) them all on Mon. Today I will give them protein in the form of mealy worms, tuna, yogurt and seeds to re-establish the natural flora and help with the molt they are starting. I will give this mix to them for about two weeks at every two or three days. They really need that protein to put on nice feathers for winter. I love my NH. I think you will too. Gloria Jean

One of the things I have found with having them this short period of time is that the color is quite different in the shade as opposed to the sun. They look darker in my photograph than they really are in good light. there is about three shades on the females ........some lighter and some darker and some in the middle. These are very young birds. I don't have their age, but they look as if they will be pretty big birds.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom