German pekin? Is it the same thing as a regular pekin?

Yeah...I was thinking too! Maybe in Germany the bred a reg pekin with a runner and just call it a German pekin when it really a hybrid or a mule I can't remember what they are called when mixed.
Mules cant reproduce so it wouldnt be that, Just evolution with its enviroment i suppose. i should realy read up again

Yeah...I was thinking too! Maybe in Germany the bred a reg pekin with a runner and just call it a German pekin when it really a hybrid or a mule I can't remember what they are called when mixed.
Cross or hybrid when between two animals of the same species, mule when it's between two animals of different species. Mallard ducks are the parents of most of the domestic duck breeds familiar to you (edt: those breeds are all the same species and so can be crossed); the Barbary or South American Muscovy is a completely different species of duck that can be crossed with a mallard-derived breed to make infertile mules.

The first mention of Pekin ducks took place in the U.S.A. by an Chinese student in 1870 at some congress-thingy. A person in the U.S.A. and a person in the U.K. imported some.
Here it split.
U.S.A. crossed it to aylesburry to make it a better meat-breed. And so started the American pekin; a heavyweight.

The Dutch (close to U.K.) traveled to Asian places and found the Japanese pinguin duck; which was more upright. On old drawings the Japanese pinguin ducks is absolutely not as straight as an runner; there is no proof that there is any runner ever mixed in; it just looks like the original pekin. the ones "again" found in Japan might have been the same ducks; like they were before being crossed with aylesburry's. They were fat, taller, and in all languages both races described pinguin/pekin sounds the same. The U.K. pekin was crossed with the Japanese pinguin duck. The interest in breeding with this duck declined; except in Germany. There it was kept alive. And "perfected". The orignal pekin crossed with accidentally orginal pekin; had an more upright stand than the orginal peking + aylesburry duck in the U.S.; and the Germans kept breeding it taller and fatter for, I guess; that's what they thought at that time was pretty/handy. It was a time where it was either; the less you can walk the more fatter you get; or the more eggs you want the more you don't wat a duck/chicken/cow to gain any fat. Perfect a breed with short legs and can't run it off; will get fatter. And with short legs; they LOOK fatter then they actually are; which was important in times when "breeding the fattest/best egg-layer" could mean a true income. Due to Germans perfecting this race for so long; it's called German pekin.

Back
Top Bottom