German Shepherds and chickens - good combo?

happytxchick

Egg Song Acre
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Sulphur Springs, TX
We were looking to get a GS to raise from a puppy with our chickens to train to protect our chickens. Any opinions/experiences related to GS dogs and chickens. We also have three kids under age 10. We want it to be a good blend all the way - dog, chickens, and kids. Please help me sort this out.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

As a kid we had two GS.

Both killed chickens, but both were then taught not to and they did OK

I have a female Golden Retriever that my 13 week old chicks sit on top of!

Last edited:
It really depends on the dog and how well it is trained. I would not trust any dog loose around the chickens unless it was well enough trained to never bolt out the door ahead of me (even for a cat or squirrel chase), and always come when called no matter what.

Not such a good combo in my experience. I LOVE GSD's but they are not allowed here while I have chickens. They just love to chase things too much. I could not break mine once a chicken was killed.

I have no experience with them and chickens, but I know they are very intelligent dogs, problem solving smart, and are very trainable. They are also great guard/attack dogs so there is a pro/con here you must consider. I suppose its that way with every breed one way or another, but for a lgd, i'd pick a gs personally because it's what I've worked with before.

A very trainable breed and any well trained dog does well with chickens.

I've had several GSDs around my birds and even though a couple needed some training, they all did great around the birds.

-Kim

I'd be careful. We have three dogs: cocker spaniel, beagle, redbone coonhound. All leave bigger chickens alone. However, the two hounds do not seem to be able to resist smaller ones, especially those around the size of wild birds, and will catch and kill them intentionally or otherwise.

Depends on how well teh dog is trained. I can tell you that when I have had trouble with dogs after my goats, the dog was either a GSD, a Husky, or a Malamute.

Back
Top Bottom