German Shorthaired Pointer with chickens?

grammaC

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2011
SE Minnesota
Greetings,
New to the site and I haven't even moved onto the farm yet, but I want to have a few hens for eggs. We have a 5-year old GSP and since he's a "bird dog"(we don't hunt), I'm wondering if he will try to get at the chickens? I'm debating about free-range, but can't let them range all day because I work in town. So, I figured I'd let them range when I get home & work in the garden, etc. But worried about the dog tales I'm reading...

Thoughts?
-grammaC

Thought I'd update my post after 8 years :) I now let my chickens free range all day, every day. Have only lost one to a predator and none to dogs. The dog referenced in the original post was eventually "taught" to leave them alone by a chicken itself. I tried to supervise a sniff-and-see-what-it-is meeting. The hen looked the dog right in the eye and pecked him. Nailed him right on the nose. Dog left the chickens alone forever...he was afraid of them after that! Sadly, that dog was hit by a car.

We got a new GSP from the shelter and she has a totally different personality. She is kind of skittish around new things anyway, so she has never felt the need to get up close and personal with any of the hens. She will mingle with them in the yard, but only to follow them around and eat the little "snacks" they drop behind them. 🤮 So, it IS possible to have both dogs and chickens!

I am doing the German short-haired pointer as poultry guard dog. We started with 6 week old pup that was forced to spend time with birds raised in house. His prey drive is strong but being directed at rabbits and squirrels. When fired up his running does stir up chickens a bit, especially when intended to drive birds off feed so he can eat it. Running about for me good in long run because makes him more obvious to wild potential predators. Predator drive also gets him to check flocks that move about separately on a 6 acre spred and he is beginning to respond to chicken alarm calls. I can trust him unsupervised with adult birds. Soon he will be schooled by a game hen and her rooster in the art of not bothering bitties. After that he should be completely trustworthy.

An adult will be more difficult and loss of a bird or two is to be expected but with care you should be able to pull it off.

Something noteworthy is that my chickens can distinguish our German short-haired pointer pup from other dogs, including his brother that is not trustworthy with chickens.

Last edited:
Yes, he will almost absolutely go after chickens.

But don't lose hope yet. Although it is very true that bird dogs can be very difficult to train not to chase and kill chickens, this certainly can and has been done. You must be able to let the dog spend time with the birds while separated by a fence or restrained on a comfortable lead. He shouldn't be in any position that he sees as punishment though, such as being confined if he in normally not confined. The dog must be able to see the chickens in their natural routines and not just as caged animals. Correct any attention the dog gives toward them immediately. If he looks at them for any more than a couple of seconds in an alert position (ears and body forward) he must be corrected. He will have to learn to lay submissively as they move about. Any chasing or following must be corrected immediately. Finally, when the dog is able to relax while the chickens are moving about you would try letting them together. It would probably take a lot of time (and I mean weeks or months) and careful attention but I think it is possible.

We successfully reconditioned a wild dog that killed to eat and hunted to survive before we started feeding her. I never had to use any force more than one time in the beginning when she went for the birds and I put her to the ground in staunch disapproval. After that I would just growl or say a sharp "Hey!" if I saw any unwanted attention. Eventually we let the birds free and the dog never harmed them, even when we were not present. I think if a wild dog can be reconditioned, almost any dog can.

Peck Johnson you are very correct! I have two trained duck hunting labs. We own chickens, ducks, a goose, and a pair of peacocks. What matters most is if you are the pack leader. Not to go all Dog Whisperer on y'all, but if you are not top dog, the dog will chase what they please. My yellow lab was about two when we decided to get chickens and ducks. We let him in the brooder room while we handled the new babies. Very cautiously let him sniff and get used to their smell. He was very curious and excited. With quick corrections on any over zealous attention and slow introductions, he learned these were family birds and not the ones daddy wanted him to bring back. My chocolate was a pup when he was introduced to them and he did fine learning these birds were not to be harmed. Now the goose came up later and they did to seem to enjoy making her fly but didn't try to catch her. They would run by her just close enough that she would spread her wings and fly towards the lake and they would come prancing back with this look of accomplishment. I didn't encourage this behavior (but it was kind of funny!)

GrammaC, you sound like you have the right approach. The shock collar might be a very valuable tool for you if he has a high prey drive. Good luck! Never know you might have the best chicken guard in town!

One last note, a good size run is a great idea. I built a big run but thought I would be able to let them freemrange during the day even when I wasn't home. Most predators are only out at night right? Nope!'turned out the biggest predator to my birds was a irresponsible nearby resident who just let their dog roam the neighborhood. I lost three of my first four chickens to that beast... Lesson learned! Sometimes your own dog won't be your biggest worry!

I have a 84lb Pit Bull dog who plays in the yard with my chickens !! He LOVES them
big_smile.png

Depends on the individual dog. I had a weimeraner that we used for hunting, and he absolutley left my chickens alone. Never looked twice at them, except when they came into his pen and drank from his water dish. he would then go in his house and bark. LOL.
After he passed away, we got a German Wirehaird pointer. SHE was another story. She would KILL any chicken could get. She was highly trained, but the prey drive would just take over and she would just forget everything and everyone till that bird or birds were dead.
We also had a GSP for 2 years that never hurt a chicken. he was very curious about them, but never acted on it as he "had good listening skills" as my nephew would say. LOL.

I wont give up the clicker. That is how I am training her. She is learning to ignore the chickens and that they are part of the family. I swear by the clicker. :)

She is never left alone with the chickens. We have 4 chicks in the house and she is also figuring out that if she ignores those too she gets treats. She is doing awesome. She is the youngest pup in our dog classes and is 2nd best. I am very proud of her :)

I wont give up the clicker. That is how I am training her. She is learning to ignore the chickens and that they are part of the family. I swear by the clicker. :)

She is never left alone with the chickens. We have 4 chicks in the house and she is also figuring out that if she ignores those too she gets treats. She is doing awesome. She is the youngest pup in our dog classes and is 2nd best. I am very proud of her :)

Your requirements for constant control sets stage for having to replace lost birds. Training for class / competition not appropriate for long-term safety of livestock although it does help with initial stages, I have seen numerous well trained dogs kill when control lapses. Listen to experience as directly related to poultry. I am not fly by night on this.

Just wanted to jump in on this cool tread to sing the GSP praises! Even if I am months late. I have a 2 year old male from really good hunting lines, super high energy, crazy prey drive and is very respectful with my chickens.

He has caught barn swallows in mid flight by just jumping up and grabbing them, he runs off stray cats, and runs laps around my garden to chase off rabbits and has even caught a few rabbits. But he has never once looked at the chickens as prey. I let them free range and can be gone all day and he's never bothered them. He is loose and has access to them.

After having a couple losses from predators, thinking a coon, I'm starting to lock him in with the chickens at night.

The only problem he ever has is his running, he startles the new birds because he will wiz by at top speed going about his daily agenda, doing busy dog stuff that I don't understand. The seasoned girls don't even bother getting out of his way, he'll jump over them on his way and they just enjoy the breeze. Sometimes it looks like they purposely get in his way on hot days... But who can say. I used to correct this behavior and have him move slowly or lay down anytime we were around the chickens, but now I just let it go.

Although I wouldn't trust most dogs around them, I do trust him. And I have had multiple family dogs kill a combined 45-65 chickens in the past, so it takes a lot for me to say that. I'm a firm believer in judging each dog regardless of breed individually, they will prove how trustworthy or not they are. (As much as I would like to just say its cause he's a GSP
1f604.png
) I have also had him since he was young, but I don't think it matters that much. I have almost always trained with an e-collar, mostly on vibrate, starting with this guy when he was 4 months old. I mainly corrected him for trying to play or for being too intense with the chickens. Like someone on here already said, if he was too alert I would correct him. And he learned that he can't touch my things unless I say so.

One last interesting thing, every time I bring home new birds I have to claim them as mine. He'll get overly excited, and try to get super close to them or even push on the crate they're in. But once I've made it clear these now belong to me, normally by some verbal disagreement with his behavior, he calmly sniffs them from a few feet away, then leaves them alone.

Love the GSP's so I wanted to give them some good P.R.

Back
Top Bottom