german spitzhauben chicks

I have some that are about 19wks old and I was wondering when do they start laying? Hopefully this thread can still be active!

When did yours start laying? Mines dont even seem ready they are still running away from the boys!
smile.png

Mine started laying around 22-23 weeks.

My best guide was the cockerels. When they started mounting the pullets, the girls started laying shortly thereafter.

Mine are 18 weeks and they love to roost as high as they can get. They are excellent fliers and would head straight for the trees if allowed. They are the most comical birds I have! I adore them.

I have two week old chicks. Two died. I don't know what's wrong. They go from seeming ok to not walking to dead. I hope the last two survive!!!

I just discovered this breed of chicken and I am dying to add a few to my coop. I read that they do not take confinement well, but living in Wisconsin, there is not much free-ranging they can do during the winter, though they would get out and about in a run plenty.

Would these beautiful chickens be OK with other breeds (such as Easter Eggers and Brahmas) as long as they were able to free-range or be chicken tractored. Thoughts?

I am also about to venture into breeding and keeping a large flock on them. I will mostly free range them and rotate them with the rest of the coop. I plan on building a 12x12 coop from a tall shed along with a good size, maybe 16x16 enclosed tall pen for them when I winter and close them up for the night. Being flighty (they are more closer to the genetics of a game bird, look it up!) they need tall spaces and slightly larger space than other breeds. I would not stay with the standard 4 sq. ft. per bird with them. I would figure 5-6 sq. ft. per bird and give them at least 10 sq. ft. or 15 sq. ft. for their run. Of-course you'll want to free range them and rotate. Facebook has an excellent Appenzeller community that you should check out. The members are really helpful and can offer a lot of advice. I have not heard of any conflicts with other birds of other breeds. Most people whom have them in mixed flocks say they are extremely good at recognizing their pecking order. Although the roosters can be bit dominant.

Back
Top Bottom