Get emus

My advice is make sure your getting a male and a female. And FYI females are the domininte sex in Emus, so if you were to have 2 females and a make it would be like having 2 roosters and a hen.

Edit: my parents won't reward me for good grades. Anything below an A- is punishable XD. They are both teachers though, so that could be part of it.
My mom has emus so I am hatching eggs for her and keeping a male and a female and the rest are going to her

Thanks my daughter will be 11yo in December she has helped my mom care for hers so we know the risks we are going to hatch them ourselves and they will have 17 acres of land with fencing that is 8ft high on my property

Just to make sure, is the 17 acres your property that you have fenced eight feet high? In another comment you had said that your neighbor let you have the birds on their land, so I was wondering if that might be the 17 acres. If it is, that land also needs to be fenced in at least six feet high if you want to be able to let your emus on it. Otherwise, at some point, one or both of them will likely be over the fence and gone.

re you saying to just separate them from the chicken coop I think i will just do it with welded wire fencing will that be ok so they can still see each other

Yep, that's what I mean. The chickens need their own space to get away from the emus that the emus can't get in. This is because the emus will probably at time chase the chickens, either as a game or aggressively, and the chickens need to be able to take a break and get away. My female Ciara was raised with a goose and around chickens her whole life, and from time to time she still likes to chase them. Especially ducks; for some reason they're really fond of chasing ducks.

My mom has emus so I am hatching eggs for her and keeping a male and a female and the rest are going to her

If you're just planning on keeping them as pets and don't want to or care about breeding them, get two males. Males make better pets. They are the more docile and less aggressive of the two genders. And if you have close neighbors, they're also much quieter.

Just to make sure, is the 17 acres your property that you have fenced eight feet high? In another comment you had said that your neighbor let you have the birds on their land, so I was wondering if that might be the 17 acres. If it is, that land also needs to be fenced in at least six feet high if you want to be able to let your emus on it. Otherwise, at some point, one or both of them will likely be over the fence and gone.

Yep, that's what I mean. The chickens need their own space to get away from the emus that the emus can't get in. This is because the emus will probably at time chase the chickens, either as a game or aggressively, and the chickens need to be able to take a break and get away. My female Ciara was raised with a goose and around chickens her whole life, and from time to time she still likes to chase them. Especially ducks; for some reason they're really fond of chasing ducks.

If you're just planning on keeping them as pets and don't want to or care about breeding them, get two males. Males make better pets. They are the more docile and less aggressive of the two genders. And if you have close neighbors, they're also much quieter.
Yes the 17acres is my neighbors and it is fenced in and I am going to breed them my neighbors dont care about the noise I have 20 roosters so noise is not an issue

Yes the 17acres is my neighbors and it is fenced in and I am going to breed them my neighbors dont care about the noise I have 20 roosters so noise is not an issue

Just so long as the fence over there is six feet or more :) Trust me, loose emus are not a good time, haha.

If you can at least do a pen of 20 feet by 100 feet on your own property, you won't need to let them on your neighbor's acreage, if the fencing isn't tall enough over there.

Murray McMurray is a good place to get them but not till next yr that's when we are getting ours from my mom her hens have stopped laying for this yr
Uhhhh Murray McMurray doesn't have emus or anything similar to an emu.

And I'm also confused about how much space. None of the pen sizes you commented are close to 17 acres, and then you said they would have 17 acres which sounds like the whole property lot which is not a good idea. And odds are tour neighbor who is fine with small birds sneaking over will not be as pleased if a 6 foot bird shows up suddenly

Uhhhh Murray McMurray doesn't have emus or anything similar to an emu.

And I'm also confused about how much space. None of the pen sizes you commented are close to 17 acres, and then you said they would have 17 acres which sounds like the whole property lot which is not a good idea. And odds are tour neighbor who is fine with small birds sneaking over will not be as pleased if a 6 foot bird shows up suddenly
The 17acres belongs to my neighbor and she has already said I could

Back
Top Bottom