How to get emus and other birds to live together?

Fowl0909

Chirping
Aug 23, 2020
I have a pair of 5 week old emu chicks that will chase and try to stomp on anything that is near them. Since they were 2 weeks old they were always kept near some turkey poults. They were in separate enclosures but they both still need a heat lamp so they were kept right next to each other. Eventually when the turkeys began jumping out they ended up in the emus pen. The emus left them alone and even slept next to them. It didn’t seem like I would have a problem with the emus attacking birds but once I started letting them roam with a few chicks (they’re about 12 weeks old), the emus constantly chase them and even try stomping on them. I plan to let the emus roam with all of my birds once the emus are older but I’m afraid that I won’t be able to because the emus may try killing them. Any tips?

(It’s only one emu who mostly tries hurting the other birds, but when the other emu sees what he’s doing then she will join in)

@Pyxis do you have emus?

Indeed I do.

It didn’t seem like I would have a problem with the emus attacking birds but once I started letting them roam with a few chicks (they’re about 12 weeks old), the emus constantly chase them and even try stomping on them.

Chicken chicks? They're used to the poults and know the poults 'belong' so they don't bother them. If these are chickens, they do not yet have familiarity and don't know that they belong.

Even with mine, which have all been raised with fowl, and currently live with chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, and a couple turkeys, if I get a new bird that looks different or is a pretty different color, they still need to see that bird for a couple weeks before they know it belongs and don't chase it.

So, set them up so that they can see any birds you want them with, but can't chase or stomp them. Give it a couple weeks, then let them all together.

I have a pair of 5 week old emu chicks that will chase and try to stomp on anything that is near them. Since they were 2 weeks old they were always kept near some turkey poults. They were in separate enclosures but they both still need a heat lamp so they were kept right next to each other. Eventually when the turkeys began jumping out they ended up in the emus pen. The emus left them alone and even slept next to them. It didn’t seem like I would have a problem with the emus attacking birds but once I started letting them roam with a few chicks (they’re about 12 weeks old), the emus constantly chase them and even try stomping on them. I plan to let the emus roam with all of my birds once the emus are older but I’m afraid that I won’t be able to because the emus may try killing them. Any tips?

(It’s only one emu who mostly tries hurting the other birds, but when the other emu sees what he’s doing then she will join in)
I have 3 emus that function as my chicken flock guardians so they can free range. They even break up rooster fights.

I agree with @Pyxis
So, set them up so that they can see any birds you want them with, but can't chase or stomp them. Give it a couple weeks, then let them all together.
They need to get familiar with their farm-mates. We keep new chicks in separate coop so the emus will accept them.

Attachments

• 02BCA059-BF45-49B1-A0F8-80204DC40881.jpeg
    02BCA059-BF45-49B1-A0F8-80204DC40881.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 13
  • CE1D4871-ED66-4246-969E-B23B45262054.jpeg
    CE1D4871-ED66-4246-969E-B23B45262054.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom