"Get large-bodied birds", they said.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Weasleymum, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Weasleymum

Weasleymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    "They're less flighty! Stay where they're supposed to better." they said. Ahahahaha. We missed putting our (free-ranging) little flock back into their coop last night as it's getting dark so early now, so they were out and about this morning. Somehow, two of the Buff Orpingtons managed to get themselves to the top of the shed roof, which is right below our kitchen window (kitchen is on second story), some 8-9 feet from the ground, and were watching my husband make breakfast. They were all, "hi, we heard the word 'toast'; are you coming down to feed us too, or what?!"

I am trying to figure out how these big girls got all the way up there... there is a sturdy gate adjacent that could be used as a half-way point, but wow. Still a big flap for them!

2. Red Riding Egg

Red Riding Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2013
    Northwest NJ
    hahahahaha!!! I have one RIR/white rock that's built like a turkey lol and she's my flyer...

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Clipping wings on "big bodied" hens does work a little better than on the "smaller lighter bodied birds". (In theory)

But remember where there is a will there is a way!

4. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I myself like big birds, but aint your flock supposed to go back to the coop on their own, even if the dark comes in earlier.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Wild turkeys easily fly 20 feet to roost in trees. Granted, not the huge broad breasted birds, but bigger than a chicken.

6. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I have some pretty big hens who can fly quite high for their weight, so it's possible they used the fence as a half-way point. Chickens are very persistent, especially if food is around.[​IMG]

7. Weasleymum

Weasleymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    Most of mine will, but there are a few that prefer roosting in our hedgerow. Out of 8 chickens, 5 will reliably roost in the coop, the other 3 might be anywhere. We lure them back to the coop with an evening snack to ensure that everyone is where they should be. A few times we've tried rounding everyone up after dark (finding their roosting places and grabbing them), but it's so difficult for us and stressful for the birds that we decided not to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by