Get off my patio!

kathateria

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2016
Hi from UK.
I have a back door,which opens on to a patio. That leads on to a lawn and small pond. But the ducks wont go on to the garden. they stay by the door,its like a sea of poo when we go outside!
We have watering cans by the door,to wash away the poo. How can I get them onto the lovely soft garden?
I do heard them on,but they always come back

I don't see any drake feathers so I'd say they are all hens. They may still be a little young to start laying but the bigger issue is probably the lack of sunlight. They need 14 hours a day of light so they may not start laying till the days get longer. Especially since it's their first lay.

Mine like to hang out by my back door and poo all over my patio too. I don't like all the poop but it's easy enough to hose off. They do go around the yard too to explore. Do you have any bushes or trees they can hang out under? Giving them something to hide under may help.

Hi :welcome from Yorkshire UK

I dont have ducks but thought I would just say can you block them off from the patio? I have read quite a lot of ducks hanging around doors though! They obviously love being with you or know where the treats come from ;)

Good luck hope you can get a clean patio soon!

I'm worried they may not feel safe on there. I think they like the protection by the door. Maybe they feel exposed? Any else find this? The one fence is panel, but the other side is see through mesh.

I will put pics on later. Can you do it on a tablet?

Here are the culprits,are they all girls?

Weve has them two weeks,no sign of eggs yet. They know our routine now,so when will they feel comfortable enough to lay.? I think they are 20 weeks,maybe a little more.
Thanks very much

Last edited:
I've tried to create a fenced area in the garden. There is a little area there that I think they will adopt as a secure place,as its sheltered by ivy. I will test them tomorrow, Thanks for the advice.

My guess is that the garden feels too exposed for them. You could try putting some garden furniture on it, like chairs and tables. Or anything else they can hide under. That table on your photo seems popular. ;)

The best scenario is probably to spread the shelters out instead of cramping them in a small area.

Last edited:
Well,i fenced off the back door,so i dont break my neck slipping on duck poo and buried a kiddies pool on the garden,which they show no interest for!
However.... we've had our first eggs! One yesterday and one today! Very happy
263a.png

Back
Top Bottom