Get Your Buckets Ready! It's That Time of Year Again!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by theoldchick, Jun 28, 2011.

1. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Blackberry picking time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just be sure to wear your bug spray-the red bugs (chiggers) are out in full force!

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We have to wait a little longer for the ones in the mountains here to be ready. The few bushes we have at our house are just about finished for the season though.

3. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

there is a bunch of blackberries at the beagle club

4. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    blackberries, yuck.

now blueberries... yyuuuuuuuuuummmmmm

5. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

The blackberry bushes around us have yet to produce even a single immature berry. Of course, we don't normally have winter up here into the middle of summer, either, but snow is expected today in the higher Sierra elevations, with the rest of us getting rained on & those of us still in the mountains but in the lower elevations will be digging out our jeans and sweaters and dressing in layers again by this evening.

Then next week, it's supposed to be 102 again.

Welcome to California. Heheheh.

6. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I miss Blackberries. They don't grow well in the desert I live in, however I keep trying to get some started.

7. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Where are you from? Ours wont be ready for at least a month now. I can't wait. I love to just pick and eat them right there.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Mine are ready and waiting for them to completely ripen...that is, if I can just get the citified property owners around me to quit cutting down the "briers" on my property edges. In addition to trespassing, they are cutting into some good eating for us poor folks. Just because they have more $$ than they know what to do with and can buy all their food, doesn't mean they can just take mine. I make a mean blackberry cobbler. The ones taking the blueberries are those danged chickens, who suddenly turn into Olympic jumpers at picking time!

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Most of our blackberries and blueberries have already "gone to the birds" this year. I think I got a dozen blueberries and NO blackberries, dang it!

10. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Our wild ones just finish blooming 2 weeks ago, so it will be another few weeks before ripening, but the mulberrys, and the wild black raspberrys are just staring to ripen! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by