Getting 2-3 silkie hens. Need approval first.

I guess it depends on how much you want to risk. Personally, I wouldn’t risk getting a pet that I know isn’t allowed where I live. I know that I would get upset if I got them, got attached and then had to get rid of them.

Properties with HOA’s have never appealed to me because I don’t like that somebody could tell me what color to paint my house, what pets I can have or what I could park at my house.

Maybe you will have luck appealing to the board for an exception but make sure you do some research first on noise, smell and neighborhood impact. Silkies are fairly quiet as long as you get pullets. The roosters are just as loud as any other rooster.

Hello, I’m pretty new to BYC. I’m going to be getting either 2-3 silkie pullets this coming summer. Our state ordinances allows chickens but no roosters. Good. I go to our neighborhood deed restrictions. No good. It does NOT allow poultry. This is annoying. So, I’m either going to GO GET PERMISSION FROM MY SURROUNDING NEIGHBORS, or I WILL GET PERMISSION FROM THE HOA BOARD asking for an exception. I’ve talked to silkie owners who say that their chickens aren’t too loud. Which one of the two options is best? Thanks.

Going against HOA can turn into a nightmare. All it will take is one snippy neighbor to cause you heartache and possible legal troubles. If you're going to defy the rules have a backup plan of where the hens can go with little to no notice. Also keep in mind that your current neighbors could decide to sell and whoever buys their house might not accept the situation. Asking for permission will put you on their radar, so if they rule against you and you proceed anyway, they'll find out in short order. Still, I'd do it the right way or not at all. Moving is the simple solution. :thNot. Real cost effective though.

I would petition for a chance of HOA rules. I believe the are several threads from people who have gone through simar issues.
First survey your neighbors, if a high majority would like to also see the change in rules, then get the city ordenances, then approach the HOA with your info.
Also, benefits of raising chickens, along with answers to common chicken issues (keeping them in your yard, noise, smell, etc, our city ordnance probably covers most of this) could be quite helpful.

The exact kind of attitude I was referring to.
There was no "stupid laws that impede a person's God-given right to self-sustaining agriculture"
Its was a contract that the person willing agreed to and signed.
Willingly signing a contract that limits your rights is a far cry from someone taking away someone else's rights.

That's true. But I don't agree with city/state ordinances restricting small livestock outside of normal nuisance ordinances though. If people can't smell or hear my flock, what animals I keep on my own paid-for property is really not anybody's business (as long as I'm not in an HOA, anyway).

If you're going to defy the rules have a backup plan of where the hens can go with little to no notice.

Joining a local chicken swap Facebook group can be useful for something like this - I offloaded three silkies in less than an hour earlier today using one.

This lady found herself in the same place you could.. you could not pay me enough to live in a HOA, when my husband and I were house searching for a place to buy, we found one that was good price and the house it's self made me drool, that lasted till we found out it was HOA, right then they could have offered to give the house to us and to give us a million and I would not have taken it

It seem's that all of the HOA's are like that. You couldn't pay me enough to move into one of those places.

I've lived in several and if you even breathe funny you get a notice or a fine. My NEIGHBOR put up a basketball hoop and they had the nerve to try and fine me. They fined me for having my trash can in front of the garage on a non trash day. I was told at another place that if I didn't keep my hose on a reel or in another appropriate hose container/holder, plus keep a nozzle on the end, that that could be a fine.

If it were me, I suppose I'd talk to my neighbors first, get their permission, and then hope that the neighbors' approval helps sway the HOA in your favor. Perhaps you could find some real-life examples where people in urban or suburban neighborhoods have successfully kept backyard chickens. Perhaps you could provide evidence that a few hens would not be foul, smelly, noisy, or messy, and that the coop would not be too close to the neighbors or an eyesore. I would try to have an answer for any possible objections/concerns they might have.

Then, if they say no, you can just move (LOL).

I would be too nervous myself to try to secretly bring in chickens. It would be very upsetting for me to go to the trouble and expensive of getting a coop and hens, getting attached to them, and then having to get rid of them if the neighbors found out. That's just me, though.

Wow. That is actually really good advice. That’s probably what I’m going to do now! Thanks!:wee

Good luck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It seems to me that a couple of hens would not be any more disruptive than a dog or cat, if your HOA allows other kinds of pets.

Exactly my point. They won’t be free ranging and they can’t fly. So escaping won’t be a problem. I’ve talked to an owner with over 15 silkies. She even said they didn’t make much of a racket.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom