getting 4 new geese Sat, need info geese people!

bufforp89

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Chenango Forks NY
I have the chance to get 4 new geese Saturday evening if I want them. I have the room as well as a pen and house to quarentine them in. I have one existing goose, Lola. Her mate, Charlie, died a short time ago thus the reason for the new geese.

So will Lola hang out with these new geese? She was not super bonded to Charlie, she hung out with him but she hung out with the ducks too and still does. She didnt seem to get that upset with Charlie being gone, She looked for him for a few days in the mornings when she is first let out but now she seems perfectly content.

Also what would be the best mix and ratio to get? I have the choice of 4 out of 10 African and Toulouse that range in ages from 1-10 years. There are sexes of both breeds and the people dont care who goes, they are just having a hard time wintering 10 geese and would like to rehome a few. Im sure some of them are bonded pairs, trios or whatever. Im not really familliar with either of thoes breeds so I have no clue what to expect as far as temperment and such goes.

Also how are these breeds going to do as far as foraging go? I have a small field that has a few strands of electric wire around it that has kept Lola, Charlie and larger ducks contained in the past that I plan on enlarging. Charlie and Lola ate very little feed prefering to graze. Can I expect these breeds to be the same way? I have no clue how they are contained now or what type of foraging options they have now, the lady said that they stay in their fence, are easily contained and will let you herd them into their house in the evening.

I am also wondering what to feed them for the winter as they will be away from all of the other birds and not eating the chicken ration like Lola does. I am pretty much limited to what is available at Tractor Supply but want to make sure that I am feeding them correctly. I know that there is no waterfowl type feed available, I have looked for it before. I also feed lots of leafy lettuce in the winter months.

Anyone?

I feed my goose and ducks Purina Flock Raiser and they do fine on it we don't have duck or goose feed either. wow your are so lucky to be able to do this, I only have 1 gander who is very attached to his mother a Muscovy, but I have read that 1 gander to 2 females. And that the Toulouse are very friendly and laid back.

Last edited:
I have never had Toulouse but my Africans were noisy and tended to get aggressive during mating season. My Pilgrims are wonderful and those I the ones I recommend.

So my vote, Toulouse and not the Africans.

i am curious about your fence is it electic poultry netting or just regulare electric? if so how many strands i have 4 to six stands for my goats you think it would work? i could add 2 more strands. i have at least 1 acre of electric fence for goats. you think they would stay in fence? i have a lot of clover in there. sorry for high jackin your thread.

She only has the 10 and she is keeping the ones that I dont take so she wont have anymore available. Your fence may work, mine is 4 strands close together (Im not sure exactly) and low to the ground, only comes up maybe 3 feet. I suppose they could jump over it if they got it in their heads to but they havnt yet.

Im not really worried about the Africans being aggressive, Charlie and Lolo only went through one breeding season together but they were awful so I am well aware what to expect. Im thinking I may get a pair of each.

Well just remember bufforp to post pictures so we can see the new kids okay
ya.gif

i am excited now i think my fence will work then. my fence is 4-5 inches from ground and 3 feet high. i can add strands if needed. i think i am going to just order some babies from ideal.
my fence has 6,000 volts on it and my chickens and runner ducks go right through and under fence. lol will geese really stay in it?

yes pics pics please! plus all the snow!!1.........

Back
Top Bottom