Getting a Bunny

i dont know what kind you are planning on getting..but i've found that (for me) the Flemish Giants are sooo sweet and docile...very easy to tame and not so rabbit skittish. good luck with your bunny!
bun.gif

I generally prefer bucks over does.

Having said that, I'm so against the whole 'Easter Rabbit' thing. As long as you've done your research, though, I'm sure you'll be fine. It's amazing how many people buy rabbits and don't realize they live 6-10 years (sometimes longer), how sensitive their digestive systems are, how to feed the properly...

Also, if you're going to buy from a feed/pet store, please at least make sure they're the right age. They should be over 8 weeks old.

Spaying and neutering a pair of rabbits would be ideal as they make a very loving couple and really enjoy their life together.

Having them operated also makes them friendlier and the nasty hormonal smell of the urine is non existant.

I've rescued dozens of buns and always put them in pairs (after operations and before that they would have side by side pens to get to know each other) and way after the excitement of getting them wears off and they end up spending a lot of time alone, they at least have each other in their lives.

Spending time alone in a cage was the main reason that I was asked to take them in and mostly by my vet when people would come in to have them euthanized cause their kids didn't bother with them anymore and oh yes, some were actually thrown out in the woods to fend for themselves...as if.

Sorry folks but this is a sore spot for me...please think about it carefully cause mine have lived for over 9 years and really need to socialize with their own to have a good life.

Thanks guys! Ive done research and understand they live for 10ish years
smile.png

Im getting one from a guy that is about 9 months old..

I want a flemish giant so bad but cant find one around here..
Oh well maybe in the future!

Ohhh you found one, will we get pics on your thread?
big_smile.png
What kind is he? My choice would be if not fixed a single buck, if spayed or neutered a pair.

If your rabbit will be indoors when you get ready for the next one you could give your local "house rabbit society" a call. Steep fee ($80) but right around this time and into May they sometimes will drop the fee by half. For that fee you get a vet checked, spayed/neutered, socialized and litter box trained (or working on it) rabbit rehabbed by volunteers in foster homes. Sometimes they are also adopted out with the equipment they came to the rescue with.

If yours are not indoor rabbits the local shelter should be willing to put you on a notification list for any flemish giants that come in. Shelters charge less and adopt out a vet checked spayed/neutered rabbit. The catch is you would need to choose carefully as the shelters usually do not work on the socialization issues but a great place to find an outdoor rabbit.

Not sure if you have had them as pets before but it might take some time for a 9 mo old to adjust to his new home. I found with mine when a child wanted to "hold" the rabbit if I had the child sit on the floor and put a worn towel/small fabric blanket in the flat lap of the child or gently wrapped it around the rabbit things went smoother. They can move fast and those nails are sharp. They really do make great pets and they crack me up, it is amazing how distinctive their personalities can be.

I got the rabbit yesterday. Its all black and very sweet. I think hes a rex mix. very soft. 6-7weeks old
very sweet
The boys love him!
I will post pictures later

Back
Top Bottom