getting a dog with seeing the parents? omg they change the ad!LOL!

dntd

Songster
10 Years
Dec 4, 2009
Last edited:
If I was paying for the puppy, I would want to see the parents on premises. Unless it is a super high quality recognized kennel, I wouldnt accept email pics either.
jmho
smile.png

Happy Puppy Breath!

Nope. I wouldn't get a dog unless I could not only see the parents, but able to visit the kennel/home as well.
Also, I don't know how it is in Canada, but "multi-color" is not an acceptable color by AKC standards. There's black, black and cream, black and red, black and silver, black and tan, blue, gray, liver, sable (my Jax), white (though they can't be shown in AKC sactioned shows) and Bi-color(my Kane).
According to the AKC standard:
Color
The German Shepherd Dog varies in color, and most colors are permissible. Strong rich colors are preferred. Pale, washed-out colors and blues or livers are serious faults. A white dog must be disqualified.

IMO, if someone is going to take on breeding dogs they should at least know the basics about the breed.

Last edited:
I rally want a pup but these people seem a bit scetcky, I think it might be worth investing in a pup with hip/knee testing with proven lines, ofcourse that will set us back until after summer as we have alot of high $$ projects and it looks like a good sound dog costs 10 x that pups amount. I have only have well bred dogs but I have not owned a large dog( my parents did as a kid but they always bit me!)

Quote:
When thinking about a GSD, it really is worth it to invest the money in a quality pup from hip certified parents, with proven lines. Otherwise the difference in the initial costs for the pup will be made up for when you are spending an enormous amount of money at the vet to have those things fixed after you've already fallen in love with the dog.
GSDs need to be exposed to all kinds of people - kids, adults, elderly - and all kinds of social situations from a young age. They're smart and strong-minded, so you have to always take the lead of alpha dog and never let them have that lead for a second.
Our 3 year old GS is visiting and this morning he slept on the couch with our bigger GSD pup (11 months old) on the floor right next to the couch and our younger GSD (3 months old) at his feet. The only one in danger of being bitten was any stranger who would dare to come between the older GSD and that little boy.

Last edited:
I don't think you can really expect a well bred puppy from a breeder that doesn't even know the correct name of the breed and how to spell it. And if I wasn't going to buy a puppy from a quality breeder, I would get one from a shelter instead.

I also wouldn't buy from someone who couldn't spell the name write. German Shepherd Dog.
I do want to see both parents and the "breeders" to know about the breed and to test the parents.
You don't have to pay an exorbitant amount to get a quality puppy. Shop around and find good breeders in your area. Talk to local dog clubs. Even see if you have a Schutzhund club. They can point you to breeders that are within your budget. Also they will help you to learn about working lines and show lines to see what would be the best fit for your family.

It is not uncommon for high quality breeders of GSDs to sell puppies without the purchaser seeing them first. Many GSDs are also purchased and shipped from Germany like this. These breeders breed to improve the breed not to make money. Their dogs are usually titled ~ either Show or Schutzhund and have hips certified as well as other health certifications. You usually tell the breeder what you are looking for in a puppy and they pick the best puppy based upon their extensive knowledge of the breed. If at all possible you should go visit the breeder and spend time with the puppies sire and dam as they are an indication of what the puppy will be like when grown.

The puppies you are looking at appear to be from a Back Yard Breeder and may or may not turn out to be a nice dog. I agree that if the "breeder" can't even spell the name of the dog breed they are selling I would rule them out. If you are set on a pure bred puppy, please do your research first. GSDs have multiple genetic problems that can usually be avoided with careful breeding. GSDs also come in 2 basic types ~ show line and working line. Working lines can have very high energy levels and need to have a lot of exercise and "jobs" to do or they may develop behavioral problems.

Good luck with your puppy search! GSDs are a wonderful breed and I love mine dearly!

Back
Top Bottom