Getting a Great Pyrenees

bigredfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Yorkshire, Ohio
So, we're getting a GP, yeah!. She is almost 2 years old. Her previous owner had her chained almost all the time. I really don't like like the idea of chaining-up a dog, especially one that is going to be protecting my flock. My question is does anyone know of a good training technique I could use to try and keep her on my 5 acres w/ out a chain?

Thanks for any advise!

Her current owner has chickens. This Spring a broody hen hatched her eggs in it's dog house. She will even let the chickens eat her dog food while she's eating.

I realize a fence would be the best option, but thats not going to happen.

Why does the current owner keep her chained?

Quote:
I just cannot imagine how this could even work. Not to sound harsh or mean.

What are you going to do when she chases a coyote beyond your property and keeps going? Or a dog? Or a hawk?

A good fence is the only way to keep her on your 5 acres. Most do like to roam if not contained, and many will claim/protect more acreage than yours once they start roaming.

Quote:
Can you enlarge your chicken run to include enough space for her also? Or fence part of the property?

There's always the invisible fence but put the voltage really high (once she knows her boundaries) so she doesn't chase things over the line in her eagerness.

At 2 years old and with the dog being chained up, you are going to have to work with the dog. You can't expect the dog to "take" to guarding your birds, etc. automatically. And, yes, GP's do wander... bad. You must have some type of fencing up to keep them in the yard. For an underground type fence, you will want to keep it on high and make sure to shave under the dog's neck so that the prongs can touch skin. Even the underground fencing takes weeks of training.

But, I must say bless your heart for getting the dog off of the chain. It is going to take weeks or months of training, but you can do it. Good luck!

I guess my biggest concern is her getting hit on the road. She is more than welcomed to roam a little outside my property, as I have no close neighbors. However, I know there is no way to control how far she goes outside our property.

Hmmm. Maybe I need to rethink this.

Congratulations on your new expected arrival.

I found just talking to my LGD works for us. I never underestimate his intelligence. LGDs have been bred for centuries as independent thinkers. So telling them, then showing them what they they need to do is often a good way to do it. It doesn't always work, because they are a lot like toddlers and will do it how they see fit. I have an 11.8 year old Komondor that will still talk back at me if he is in the mood. It is often like talking to a seven year old boy. They might listen, but don't count on them not to pull something on you sooner or latter. On the other hand he is great with what he is supposed to do, and at this point he is bomb proof with the chickens. He does hate the dog behind us, but so does most of the neighborhood.

As for keeping him on your property you will need to create boundaries for her. The only way that you will know how she is going to react will be to get her home and watch her. She will let you know what the two of you will need to work on. I have read enough stories about LGDs that you never know how they will behave for you until you have them at your home. I am so happy that you are saving her from a life of being chained up. I can't think of anything worse for a LGD than being chained up and kept away from the pack. For LGDs the pack will be either the humans or the animals that they guard. I never did convince my dog that he wasn't the youngest of the people kids. He spends a lot of time on his sofa, watching the world go by. He is also fairly intimidated by my Yorkies.

I did have to break my dog from wanting to play with the chickens. For us it took one lesson, when his was about 6 to 9 months old.

My question is does anyone know of a good training technique I could use to try and keep her on my 5 acres w/ out a chain?

What do you call a Great Pyrenees that's not on a leash or in a fence?

GONE!!

Back
Top Bottom