Getting a guardian puppy - any chicken<-->dog communicables I need to worry about?

She really is. My vet says she's an incredible example of her breed. I got her for a song really compared to the worth she's already brought to the place. God help me, I'm considering breeding her. She's got excellent genetics and her temperament is night and day from her puppyhood.
I would genetic test her and get her hips, elbows and eyes checked. just to make sure good puppies come out. Then temperment test the puppies so they can go to appropriate homes. Im sure she would be a great mom!

She's been genetic tested already - flying colours. I'm waiting for her to get to be a year old before having other things checked.
She has to be 2 years to get her final hips, eyes and joints. But at 1 year she can get prelims. Please dont breed her till she is over to, it can hurt her growing and make sure she is at least on her second heat cycle.

I have no intention of breeding her until she comes into 2nd heat, but I won't wait for a 2nd to pass if I'm going to do it. She'll be a mom or spayed - pyometra is terrible.
Ok, i was just making sure you knew that, as a lot of dogs in my area are pregnant on their first cycle and under 1 year old. Pyometra is horrible.

Well, Copper made it through her first heat with no accidental puppies. So that's good. I have scheduled her spay for August, hopefully she won't come back in before then. I'd really love to breed her, but I just can't fit puppy raising into my life right now. I did find a vet who'd do an ovarian sparing spay, so I needn't worry about early osteoporosis or hip dysplasia.

She tried to catch a baby chicken today, as a toy, and that wasn't fun. First time she's ever been spanked. She then spent 30 minutes really trying to make it up to me. I finally let her, and we are all friends again. Otherwise, it's just a relatively peaceful settled and functional homestead for now. I still love this breed, and will probably own an ES for the rest of my life.

Oh, one funny thing, I taught her to watch for hawks, but she just knows she's supposed to scan the skies and run under big things that could swoop down and hurt her chickens. So...she dutifully ran under a passing jetliner the other day, barking and telling it to stay away from her charges. I nearly pissed myself laughing.

Well, Copper made it through her first heat with no accidental puppies. So that's good. I have scheduled her spay for August, hopefully she won't come back in before then. I'd really love to breed her, but I just can't fit puppy raising into my life right now. I did find a vet who'd do an ovarian sparing spay, so I needn't worry about early osteoporosis or hip dysplasia.

She tried to catch a baby chicken today, as a toy, and that wasn't fun. First time she's ever been spanked. She then spent 30 minutes really trying to make it up to me. I finally let her, and we are all friends again. Otherwise, it's just a relatively peaceful settled and functional homestead for now. I still love this breed, and will probably own an ES for the rest of my life.

Oh, one funny thing, I taught her to watch for hawks, but she just knows she's supposed to scan the skies and run under big things that could swoop down and hurt her chickens. So...she dutifully ran under a passing jetliner the other day, barking and telling it to stay away from her charges. I nearly pissed myself laughing.
Im glad she is doing so well!

Well, Copper's just over a year old and she's going to be spayed on Monday. Since she works and is very active, I elected to have an ovarian sparing spay done to protect her bone density. The recovery will take a little longer, but should protect her from injury while she's doing her job as she ages.

She's the best dog in the world. Just the right amount of reactive and chill for the homestead. She's so intuitive too and desperate to please.

I never have figured out how to teach her complex commands, but she learns simple tricks easily and I dont even have to get out of my chair on the porch to put the chickens away now. Maybe it will come with time if we keep working at it. I want another ES already.

I must be insane.

20230802_064510.jpg

Last edited:
Title says it all. I've never even owned a dog before, much less a working dog. I know about how to care for them, having done so from time to time and also from working in a shelter, but I don't know any specifics about chicken to dog and vice versa communicable illnesses. Is there anything to worry about beyond parasites?
My dog gets ecoli bacteria and urinary tracts infections from eating chicken poop and licking her vulva constantly. I would suggest training the pup that chicken poop is an absolute no no.

That’s a good breed for the task. I have a sheltie. He started as a really fearful puppy, used to be scared of the chickens, now he’s a good boy he makes sure they don’t go where they shouldn’t. But I wouldn’t call him a protector, if he sees something that’s endangering the chickens, he would either run away or join in.
How did you get him to not be afraid of the chickens? Any training tips?

Back
Top Bottom