Getting a New Dog

naturegirlmn

Songster
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Hello! I don't know if this is the best place to ask this, but here goes. We currently have a dog that was raised as a puppy and is now 15. She came to us after our chickens, but as a puppy was fairly easy to train. At the time we also had my husband's chocolate lab who was regularly hunting. He came before the chickens and all my dh had to do was tell him "No" and he left them a lone when we got them. Our chickens free range.

We are looking at getting another dog. Baylee's dad was a border collie/lab mix and her mom was a lab/German Wirehair mix. She is wonderful. She is all about "the rules" and makes sure the cats are not breaking them.lol She unfortunately has cancer. :( We are hoping to get another dog before she gets to weak to help train it (since she seems to love that kind of thing.lol).

What breeds would you look for? What would you stay away from. Most dogs in the shelters are not puppies. We are trying to avoid anything that tends to run off. We want something medium to large. My dh would love to have a hunting partner again. I would love a dog that is good with everything, not aggressive, but watches to keep vermain away and protect the flock. I figured terriers, hounds, and huskies are out. I saw an old thread here, though of coonhound owners. We looked at what my best guess was a lab/redbone coonhound today and really liked her, but not sure about chickens....

Secondly, we could use some tips as to the best ways to introduce a new dog. We have never introduced an older dog to them without having a long relationship with them first.

Getting a good hunting dog will involve getting a puppy, or maybe an older dog, from a breeder, preferably one with hunting lines. Then retriever, spaniel, or pointer type? It depends on what your hubby wants to hunt!
We've had Chesapeake Bay retrievers, and a German Shorthair, and they were good in the field (with training!) and easy to train to leave the chickens alone, from puppyhood.
A shelter dog might work out, or not; there's no backstory or training already done.
Adult sled dogs or terriers would definitely be the most difficult!
Mary

Hello! I don't know if this is the best place to ask this, but here goes. We currently have a dog that was raised as a puppy and is now 15. She came to us after our chickens, but as a puppy was fairly easy to train. At the time we also had my husband's chocolate lab who was regularly hunting. He came before the chickens and all my dh had to do was tell him "No" and he left them a lone when we got them. Our chickens free range.

We are looking at getting another dog. Baylee's dad was a border collie/lab mix and her mom was a lab/German Wirehair mix. She is wonderful. She is all about "the rules" and makes sure the cats are not breaking them.lol She unfortunately has cancer. :( We are hoping to get another dog before she gets to weak to help train it (since she seems to love that kind of thing.lol).

What breeds would you look for? What would you stay away from. Most dogs in the shelters are not puppies. We are trying to avoid anything that tends to run off. We want something medium to large. My dh would love to have a hunting partner again. I would love a dog that is good with everything, not aggressive, but watches to keep vermain away and protect the flock. I figured terriers, hounds, and huskies are out. I saw an old thread here, though of coonhound owners. We looked at what my best guess was a lab/redbone coonhound today and really liked her, but not sure about chickens....

Secondly, we could use some tips as to the best ways to introduce a new dog. We have never introduced an older dog to them without having a long relationship with them first.
Labs and golden retrievers are both really good dogs that like to go hunting and retrieve your catch. They are super easy to train and love to be obedient.My retrievers have always been good with all different types of animals.

I'd stick with the bird dogs, and train it young. Hounds tend to follow their noses, so frequently "run off" . Labs can be great dogs, but often boisterous puppies, so might be too much for the old gal. I have some friends that duck hunt with Nova Scotia duck Tolling retrievers, as well as do agility with them. Smart and easy to train, and the ones I know are great temperaments. What ever you get, get a crate and an exercise pen, so you can give the pup a time out if it's too rowdy for your older one. Spend a lot of time with each dog separately so the pup can learn it's manners. keep the chickens in their run until you have good control of the pup.

Back
Top Bottom