Getting a new duck, what should I do?

Fangeddeer

Songster
Apr 23, 2023
I’m getting a new duck and I don’t rlly know what to do.. should I put them together immediately or should I have her in a cage n the coop ? (I only own ducks, so I’d just put her with my two I already own)
Any help is appreciated
This is my first time I ever owned a duck so that’s why I’m a wee confused on how to introduce new ones

Are they all about the same size?
Do you plan to quarentine the newbie in case it's sick?
Best bet would be to add the newbie with a "see but no touch" approach. Penned separately but inside the run with the originals. This can take some time for them to get used to each other.
Here's an article on introducing chickens but might be helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...tegrating-chicks-into-an-adult-flock.1126547/

I’m getting a new duck and I don’t rlly know what to do.. should I put them together immediately or should I have her in a cage n the coop ? (I only own ducks, so I’d just put her with my two I already own)
Any help is appreciated
This is my first time I ever owned a duck so that’s why I’m a wee confused on how to introduce new ones
hey? If they are all young(1-3 months old), it's really easy integrating them. If they are a little older, it's a tiny more complicated :) To sum it all up, how old are they?

Are they all about the same size?
Do you plan to quarentine the newbie in case it's sick?
Best bet would be to add the newbie with a "see but no touch" approach. Penned separately but inside the run with the originals. This can take some time for them to get used to each other.
Here's an article on introducing chickens but might be helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...tegrating-chicks-into-an-adult-flock.1126547/
I might try to quarantine but I’m not sure how to check for illness n how long to keep them separated (though, for chickens I’ve heard 1 week is fine but I don’t know if it’s the same for ducks), and what would I do when I’m done?

About size, I think my other duck Is the same exact size while my bigger one is obviously going to be bigger but I’m not sure

Back
Top Bottom