Getting a new Roo?

dodgewoman

Songster
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
We had 3 Roosters. We finally gave the two nasty ones away and kept our awesome one. This lasted about a month! My poor wonderful Rooster Hagar just died yesterday. Right out of the blue, no idea why. Anyway, I got used to having my roos. I also got used to getting sprin chicks without any work on my part
wink.png
I was hoping for more this spring as I have a few older gals that are not here much longer I think. Getting one roo will I have a hard time introducing him to the flock? We had a hell of a time introducing 6 pullets in. Older, younger? How should I go about this?

In your position, I'd look for a rooster in the 3-4 month range. Old enough you have an idea of what he'll look like, and basic temperament. Young enough the older hens will still make him work for his mating privileges. They'll usually kick his butt at first, and he'll be a little boy hiding from them. At this age, he usually submits to them, and they aren't too hard on him. Then, over the next few months, he matures and has to prove himself to them. There are usually lots of roosters available in this age range--folks that want only hens are realizing that bird that looks different is indeed a rooster and has to go. You'll be making someone very happy giving their guy a good home!

You also don't have behavioral issues like you may have with an older rooster.

Back
Top Bottom