Getting a puppy AKC registered?

Quote:
I'm sure she is..
hugs.gif

Does my female look like a pure saint?

I don't know because I don't have Saints, but it seems to me that if you are interested in breeding, your FIRST step should be to read the breed standard. You can find a copy on the AKC site. You need to know and understand the standard if only to learn what other Saint breeders consider to be the perfect dog. Those breeders are the ones who got together to write that standard. It's not something the AKC made up. Breeding is ultimately about creating the dog that matches his standard perfectly. It is NOT just about buying a male and a female and making more puppies that sorta look like Saints. The whole goal is improving your breed with every litter.

One of the best ways to learn about your breed is to join the national breed club and meet folks who share your love of Saints. Sure, you'll find some snobs. But you will also find people who care deeply about the breed and doing what is best for it. And you will gain access to their years and years of experience.

JMO, as always. (BTW I competed in schutzhund with Dobies and GSDs since the early 80s.)

Rusty​

Quote:
Well..taking your dog to the vets and keeping them for life and feeding them.
lol.png
... is normal dog care.... that doesnt count.
So.. $500 for ear cropping... and a few bucks for vaccines, per pup...
If she sells her pups for $1,500 Or MORE each... (which i'm sure she does)
I'd say shes still making a profit... but shes then using THAT profit to maintain her other dogs.... and calling it breeding costs...
Just my opinion...

It maybe "normal" if you aren't in a "business" of breeding and selling dogs. Once you are considering it a BUSINESS all feed, vet, and "normal" care is a business expense.

The problem here is your perspective of what should and should not be included in cost analysis is off base.

I think it is "normal" for "breeders" to place dogs in other homes that are no longer part of their breeding program, not kep them forever. I place my non-breeding poodles in well screened pet homes as soon as i decide i will not be using them again. Poodles live for freaking EVER, like into their late teens. If I got three or four litters from them before they were six, and kept every dog for another ten years, non-producing, that would CERTAINLY cut into my budget and wipe out my balance sheets badly. Kind of how Medicare is now the biggest bone to pick in the budget balancing debates.

OP, honestly given that your hoping to one day breed and show id suggest looking into a breeder that shows...having a good idea of the dogs bloodlines is very important.
youll also want at the MINIMUM OFA on both the sire and the dam, id also personally want to know as much as humanly possible about the grand parents and as far back as possible.
if your planning on breeding and showing you want the best of the best.

id give this breeder you found a miss, it sounds like their just selling/breeding for the sake of, registering the male isnt that expensive and doesnt have to increase puppy prices (a peice of paper doesnt increase or decrease the price, showing costs and genetic testing however might), and the AKC isnt going to register a dog from an unregisterd sire and a continental registered dam...
so honestly i wouldnt trust this person, sounds like there just making excuses/trying to talk you into it...
and honestly, it doesnt sound like you are all that convinced either so id keep looking.

a dog, especially a potential show/breeding dog is a lifelong investment and you want to invest in the best animal possible to "fit" your needs, if those needs are aKC registerable with breeding rights, you need to find a breeder with akc registered dogs (or compatible registry if your importing from canada/europe ect...) a breeder who has history on her breeding dogs, and a breeder who does the apropriate genetic testing thats also willing to give you full breeding rights, which will mean in terms of a GOOD breeder, proving to that breeder that you are also dedicating to preserving and bettering the breed.

personally im not an AKC fan, they support puppymills and pet shops and that doesnt sit right with me...
i also dont feel a dog HAS to be a show dog to be a great dog in all aspects...
i do however support small scale breeders, genetic testing and good bloodlines that are proven in their feild and fit the breed standard closly.
i personally would never want to buy a puppy from a kennel set up, i dont belive a breeder who has hundereds of puppies a year is going to have enough time to socilize my potential new family member to the level id like.
i like puppies raised in a family setting, exposed to the sound of the tv and children and pots and pans and vacume cleaners, and people handling them and playing with them all day when there not sleeping...pups that are already started on leahs training, sit and down, housebreaking ect...

thats just my personal preference and how i raise my pups...

good luck on your puppy search and dont "settle" if it doesnt feel right...its NOT right!

Back
Top Bottom