Getting A puppy?? Need advice..

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
So me and my kids have been talking about getting a puppy. I have no decided on what breed but I am thinking if I do get a puppy it will be an adopted from a shelter or pound istead of a breeder.

Now I am not sure if my kids are ready. They love helping with the chickens carrying feed and water and collecting eggs. So somtimes I feel well, they are ready for a puppy. Then somtimes I feel they are not. Somtimes asking them to clean up there toys/cloths rooms. is a hassel with them and if this puppy is to be kept inside then they would have to clean up after the puppy. I think they have it down pat feeding and water but its the cleaning issue i think about.

I have no owned a dog for over 3 years now. My last pet was a White shorthaired chihuahua named baby. She passed when she was 11 years old due to cancer. It was a long hard road with her one that broken my heart and tore me apart. I have yet to be able to Love another dog. This is also another one of my concerns is feeling Quilty but loving another dog. Is this normal?? IDK someone give me advice my girls really want a puppy.

You need to drive over here and take one of our 87.5% beagle pups
tongue.png
The mama is full beagle and the daddy is 3/4. They aren't quite old enough to leave just yet, but give them a few weeks and they will be ready to roll!
gig.gif

How old are your kids? If you really are worried about the 'cleanup' I would recommend getting a crate for the puppy, at least until it is housebroken. (I have a partial pack of puppy pads too!
lau.gif
) Hope (take) you (one) find (of) what (our) you (beagle) are (puppies) looking (please) for!
lau.gif

LOL, Come to think of it I love beagles..LOL

do you have pics of them?

My youngest is 3 and my oldest is 5. They have been asking for a puppy for the past year.

Oh, they would love it!! I doubt that you would get much help that is worth anything from a 3 and 5 y/o though!! My 4 y/o son is a big 'helper' and I know he wouldn't do it!!

Here is a pic that is a few weeks old. They are about 5 or 6 weeks old right now, and were around 2 weeks in the pic. I'll get some better pics tomorrow. They are fat little boogers!!
love.gif

PICT0335.jpg

There are 2 males and 4 females.

OMG! They are adorable. I'd have to get a girl if I do decide to take one. Because I'd get her spayed and even with a boy if they are neutered there Umm, (Boy parts) still come out. I don't really wanna explain that to my girls..LOL

If you could get some recent pics of them that would be great. Also how far are you from lexington?

I'm in Columbia, which is a bit of a drive. It's about 1 1/2 hours I think. I'll get some good pics tomorrow if you are still interested. That is if I can keep them off my feet long enough! They are so cute!!
love.gif
My son wants to keep them all. I'm sure he will be heartbroken when any of them leave, but especially 'his' Cutie Pie. That is the one that he has 'claimed' pretty much from day 1. She was the most outgoing of them all, first to do everything! Just what I need, another (dog, kid, anything) that is super outgoing!!
gig.gif

Ooohhhh, beagle pups - not much cuter than beagle pups. Glad you live on the other side of the country - I already have 2 beagles & a beagle/queensland x, but don't know that I could resist adding another!

Teresaann - don't expect much help from the kids. Mine's 17 and he's not much help unless he's told specifically what to do
tongue.png
. Know that you will be the one doing all the training, cleaning up after and feeding; they will do the playing and loving (as will you). And, yes, it is hard getting another dog after you've lost one that you've loved so. Remember, though, that the heart always expands to love more, it doesn't give up the one you loved before.
Liz

Your kids will be on and off with helping with the puppy, but that's all part of how they learn and grow. So be patient with their mistakes and be their back-up so the pup/dog is well taken care of.
smile.png

Beagles are wonderful dogs, but don't make good housepets, and they have a tendency to wander. A chained-up dog is not a healthy or happy dog, so take all that into consideration before you select your new dog.

It's normal to feel loyalty to your old dog. And just like you had enough love for each of your kids, you'll have enough for a new pet. Just do your homework and be prepared so that the adjustment is as easy as possible.

Let us know what you decide, and don't forget pictures!
smile.png

thanks everyone for the encourging words.

I showed the picture of the puppies to the kids. They went wild..LOL They love puppies. That would be a far drive for me shelly I live about 2 hours east of lexington but. Those puppies are adorable. I still need more thinking...but boy are they adorable!!

Quote:
I would have to disagree with the first part of this statement - my 2 beagles & 1 beagle mix are definitely house dogs. They can be a bit difficult to housebreak, but persistence and patience can pay off. I do agree with the part about wandering - they follow their nose and it can take them far and wide. We have a well fenced, large yard for them and take them for regular long walks (always on leash). Other challenges with beagles are - tendancy to bark a lot (one of ours hardly barks at all, the other barks a lot, the mix is somewhere in between), they are very food motivated (one of our has figured out how to climb the barstools and get onto the counter - then the fun begins!), and they are pretty independant minded, so can be somewhat difficult to train (again, patience and persistence). In my mind, however, all that is overridden by their sweet temper, love of the kids, and clownish antics. Only you know what you can tolerate. If you want a dog that will stay home, do everything you say and not be somewhat of a challenge, then a beagle is probably not for you. However, if you're willing to put up a good fence, have a dog that won't mind all the time, but will love you and your kids and curl up and snuggle with you, then go for it. And, all that said, each dog has it's own personality regardless of the breed. Good luck with your decision.
Liz

Back
Top Bottom