Getting a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy! Pics!

danischi24

Loves naked pets
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Australia
It's my boyfriend's birthday next month & he doesn't have a dog anymore because his dog got poisoned the day we met. So I told him to pick a breed. He wanted a male because he is a real man's man & has only ever had male dogs but my Chinese Crested does not tolerate males in the same house so I convinced DBF that a female was better. He made a shortlist of English Mastiff (wayy too big), Dogue de Bordeaux (too mean looking for wondering around here), Czechoslovakian Wolfdog (not quite his taste & would get shot for it's looks here), White Shepard (too hot here for long hair) or a Rhodesian Ridgeback (a hit). I grew up in Africa & my sister & aunt have Ridgebacks. I found a nice litter at 4 weeks old & we went to the border of Lebanon to pick one a few days ago. We picked the biggest, most outgoing female though he stared longingly at the male who tried to savage the little runt female-NO! We will be bringing her home in 2 weeks as the guy is an idiot & will wean & start selling them at 5-6weeks. I tried to get him to keep her longer but no-go so we will give her milk replacer for awhile. Her name is Nikita & here she is:

Nikita015.jpg

Nikita017.jpg

Nikita023.jpg

Nikita025.jpg

Last edited:

herefordlovinglady

It Is What It Is
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Georgia
my DH was the same way about male dogs. until we got Bessy. She stole his heart and they are forever friends. Your pup is too cute, she is a little heart breaker...have fun. Don't even want to start a rant about the weaning at 5 to 6 weeks. She will be fine, she looks very healthy.

jjthink

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 17, 2007
New Jersey
Can't see the pic but I'm sure she's very cute. They are striking beings.

I don't enjoy being a wet blanket here, but hope you have a fortress for any chickens that will be within the vicinity of this dog. My 'neighbor's' Ridgeback gets loose a lot and I have narrowly escaped a chicken massacre. In so doing the RR bit me. Every day I worry about this dog getting loose and ripping right through my run. They have major league prey drive and can get over 6 foot fences (my idiot 'neighbors' don't even bother to have a fence for this dog, and now they've added a JRT after getting their last one killed by a car because the dogs were at large rampaging about).

I truly wish you much happiness and also peace in the land!
JJ

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I think Ridgebacks are so beautiful! They are, however, sight hounds and very strong-willed, so you'll most likely need to keep that cutie and the chickens separated, but I'm happy for you. I'd love to have a Ridgeback.

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
They had a show about them on Animal Planet a while back...
Awesome dogs! So interesting..
And shes a doll!
love.gif

Top Bottom