Getting a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy! Pics!

danischi24

Loves naked pets
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Australia
It's my boyfriend's birthday next month & he doesn't have a dog anymore because his dog got poisoned the day we met. So I told him to pick a breed. He wanted a male because he is a real man's man & has only ever had male dogs but my Chinese Crested does not tolerate males in the same house so I convinced DBF that a female was better. He made a shortlist of English Mastiff (wayy too big), Dogue de Bordeaux (too mean looking for wondering around here), Czechoslovakian Wolfdog (not quite his taste & would get shot for it's looks here), White Shepard (too hot here for long hair) or a Rhodesian Ridgeback (a hit). I grew up in Africa & my sister & aunt have Ridgebacks. I found a nice litter at 4 weeks old & we went to the border of Lebanon to pick one a few days ago. We picked the biggest, most outgoing female though he stared longingly at the male who tried to savage the little runt female-NO! We will be bringing her home in 2 weeks as the guy is an idiot & will wean & start selling them at 5-6weeks. I tried to get him to keep her longer but no-go so we will give her milk replacer for awhile. Her name is Nikita & here she is:

Nikita015.jpg

Nikita017.jpg

Nikita023.jpg

Nikita025.jpg

Last edited:
my DH was the same way about male dogs. until we got Bessy. She stole his heart and they are forever friends. Your pup is too cute, she is a little heart breaker...have fun. Don't even want to start a rant about the weaning at 5 to 6 weeks. She will be fine, she looks very healthy.

Can't see the pic but I'm sure she's very cute. They are striking beings.

I don't enjoy being a wet blanket here, but hope you have a fortress for any chickens that will be within the vicinity of this dog. My 'neighbor's' Ridgeback gets loose a lot and I have narrowly escaped a chicken massacre. In so doing the RR bit me. Every day I worry about this dog getting loose and ripping right through my run. They have major league prey drive and can get over 6 foot fences (my idiot 'neighbors' don't even bother to have a fence for this dog, and now they've added a JRT after getting their last one killed by a car because the dogs were at large rampaging about).

I truly wish you much happiness and also peace in the land!
JJ

I think Ridgebacks are so beautiful! They are, however, sight hounds and very strong-willed, so you'll most likely need to keep that cutie and the chickens separated, but I'm happy for you. I'd love to have a Ridgeback.

They had a show about them on Animal Planet a while back...
Awesome dogs! So interesting..
And shes a doll!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom