getting a rooster

kelzey

Songster
Aug 14, 2020
newfoundland and labrador, canada
is it possibly too soon to get a rooster? i have my eyes on a very cute silkie/Spitzhauben cross that i’ve already fallen in love with, but this is my very first flock and i only have three (almost) 4 month old pullets at the moment, but planning to add some silkies next summer as my cousin is going to let one of her hens sit on some eggs for me. should i wait until next summer to get a rooster? i’d rather do what’s best for my girls, and i like to be very hands on with my chickens and i spend a lot of time with them, so i’d like to have a roo that will tolerate that and won’t be a jerk. would this breed be suitable for me? (could provide a picture of necessary)

Agree with @ChickenCanoe. I would wait, especially since this is your first flock. You didn't mention if the rooster is full grown or not, but I'm assuming he is. I'd wait until your girls are older and grown up more. It will make rooster integration a little easier!

I would also make sure that you're allowed to have roosters where you live. Some municipalities don't allow you to have a rooster.

Get some more experience and then re-evaluate in a year or so!

That's a different answer for everyone. I've never not had a rooster in each flock I have currently, including our first years. Bit other people have problems with cockerels and pullets because of hormones

I would wait till you have a bit more experience and more hens. Perhaps after going through an entire year caring for your charges and determining if your housing is suitable for all seasons.
There are about 27 billion super cute birds in the world at any moment.
okay that makes sense, thank you! i’m a bit of an eager beaver haha.

Agree with @ChickenCanoe. I would wait, especially since this is your first flock. You didn't mention if the rooster is full grown or not, but I'm assuming he is. I'd wait until your girls are older and grown up more. It will make rooster integration a little easier!

I would also make sure that you're allowed to have roosters where you live. Some municipalities don't allow you to have a rooster.

Get some more experience and then re-evaluate in a year or so!
you’re 100% right, thank you! i didn’t really think about any of that too much, only the cute chicks that could possibly come out of it in the future haha.

We all have different goals, management techniques, climates, set-ups and facilities, personal preferences, experience, and so many different things there is no one answer to this that is right for everyone. There is so much I don't know about your situation I don't really have anything to base a "best" recommendation on. But I do have something for you to consider.

Since your cousin is going to hatch some chicks for you next year, wait. I don't know how many chicks will actually hatch but there is a good chance you will get at least one and maybe several cockerels. So raise those chicks with your flock and see if any make a good rooster for you. I don't know where you are located so no idea of your weather or climate, but gain that experience in weather and other things before you expand your flock. A lot of people make changes to their facilities or management techniques that first year.

Something I think important that you consider since you plan to eventually hatch chicks. What will you do with the excess boys you hatch? What will you do with the pullets too, it's not hard to get overrun with chickens if you hatch many even if you just keep the girls.

We all have different goals, management techniques, climates, set-ups and facilities, personal preferences, experience, and so many different things there is no one answer to this that is right for everyone. There is so much I don't know about your situation I don't really have anything to base a "best" recommendation on. But I do have something for you to consider.

Since your cousin is going to hatch some chicks for you next year, wait. I don't know how many chicks will actually hatch but there is a good chance you will get at least one and maybe several cockerels. So raise those chicks with your flock and see if any make a good rooster for you. I don't know where you are located so no idea of your weather or climate, but gain that experience in weather and other things before you expand your flock. A lot of people make changes to their facilities or management techniques that first year.

Something I think important that you consider since you plan to eventually hatch chicks. What will you do with the excess boys you hatch? What will you do with the pullets too, it's not hard to get overrun with chickens if you hatch many even if you just keep the girls.

I can attest to the pullet over run too XD. Luckily my family has given up on trying to keep track so I pretty much have free reign on what to do

Back
Top Bottom