Getting baby chicks

Chickedies

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2018
My name is Kate I am getting chicks and we have a broody chicken (hairy legs) it is really cold outside like 30 will my hairy legs keep them warm all the shealter they have is a bucket which is a being used as a nest will the chicks be ok?

My name is Kate I am getting chicks and we have a broody chicken (hairy legs) it is really cold outside like 30 will my hairy legs keep them warm all the shealter they have is a bucket which is a being used as a nest will the chicks be ok?
How long has she been broody? When do you plan on giving her the chicks? Do you have a back up brooder in place in case she doesn't accept them or attacks them? How many chicks are you giving her and is she a full size hen or a banty? As long as you don' have too many and she accepts them she should keep them warm.

Without seeing photos it’s difficult to say but I would give her more than a bucket as that sounds pretty draughty. Provided they are out of the draught, have nesting material and she doesn’t have too many chicks they should all be fine in the 30s. Mom will keep them warm.

That’s what I did wrong ok thanks but now they are too old the already have most of their feathers but thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom