Getting Baby Chicks...

minpins99

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 16, 2012
Nashua, NH
This should be an easy one for you seasoned veterans. I only want to raise about 6 chickens; I haven't decided what breed yet. The problem is the catalogs will only sell a minimum of 15. Does anyone have any tips on locating sites local to me (NH) or other mail order companies that sell in smaller volumes? BTW, this will be my very first flock.

Thank you,

Mimi
Nashua, NH

Thanks for the comeback Chick Charm. That wouldn't be a problem. One of the problems is that I can't have roosters where I live. The catalogs brag about 95% accuracy in sexing chicks. I do have one friend that raises chickens but I think her husband would be upset if she got any more. However, maybe if I got the 15, I could advertise on Craig's List. But I always worry about them going to a 'good home'! Silly, right?

Mimi
Nashua, NH

Why not look for a local feed store? At least the ones around here don't have minimums and they will guarantee hens. Most of the places here will let you exchange any roosters you get for new chicks.

I second the local feed store idea. We have a Tractor Supply Co. here which sells a minimum of 6. But we ultimately went to the little mom n pop feed store because I felt more confident with local farmers than with a giant chain. Also, they had no minimum, sold only heritage breeds, and guaranteed pullets. Good luck!

Thanks for the comeback, Cleigh and Wickee Chickee. I do have a feed store right down the street from me & I can check them out and see what's going on. I wish I could have a rooster; I was just born in the wrong place - Boston, MA! I should be in Texas, Louisiana, Montana, and all the states in between I'd love to see. I guess I can't complain - and I'm not. When I was a kid, all I wanted to do was live in NH and here I am! When I start my flock, I'll send y'all pictures; keep the ideas coming!

Thank you,

Mimi
Nashua, NH

you could do as the above stated all good ideas too or you could get the 15 sexed chicks. by 6 weeks or so you should know if any of them arent the correct sex. and if you get a DUAL breed - as i did - barred rocks - the extras can be for dinner( yours or market $) - win win . that way in case any of your lil ones dont make it you have back ups - things happen they are tiny after all . you would have the 95%+ rating that they were pullets and if it were like the hatchery where i got mine from - they give you till 10 weeks to report they were wrong and theyll replace or refund /credit you . just things to think about .. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom