Getting baby Nigerian dwarf goats

When I went to pick them out the little girl who was only 4 days old at the time bleated in my face then nuzzled my neck. That pretty much made the decision of which girl I was getting :)

If you are not planning to neuter the buck, keep them penned separately by the time they are three months of age. Or even before. Goats can get pregnant at astonishingly young ages. I once had an Alpine kid get pregnant at three months. Everything turned out OK but I certainly do not recommend this.

Thank you for the advice. I've read that ND are very prolific and I definitely want a kid but I know like dogs you should never breed them on their first heat. What would you recommend on how old should she be before she's bred for the first time?

I am no expert on mini goats. I raised full sized goats. In your case I would suggest at least eight months but maybe about a year would be better. Some people will tell you to wait until they are two, but sometimes those dry yearlings get too fat and have reproductive problems as a result.

Thank you for the advice. I've read that ND are very prolific and I definitely want a kid but I know like dogs you should never breed them on their first heat. What would you recommend on how old should she be before she's bred for the first time?
9 months is the rule of thumb I follow, but I usually end up breeding at a year old. I have minis. I'm really not trying to rain on your parade, because I know how exciting new pets are, but one doe and one buck isn't really the best situation. They are herd animals and will breed way to young if kept together. Young breeding can lead to the kid/s getting stuck. So you'll have to keep them separate until breeding and they will be lonely. Personally, I'd wether the buck (or if he's just too nice to wether, get a different whether). Then when it's breeding time, get a stud for your doe. That way you don't have to keep up with a stinky buck until you're sure you're in it for the long haul. Plus a buck is just not worth his keep for one doe. And they can get feisty too. But the stink is the worst. Then after a while, get another doe or two and a buck. The wether can go in with the buck and the does can be together happily. Just my advice.

I have 4 does and a wether, no bucks. I borrow one once a year.

The buck I was getting was trampled a week ago. Picked up my doe today and got a 3 week old bottle baby doe for her companion.
IMG_20180312_134358017.jpg IMG_20180312_134050656.jpg IMG_20180312_183451442.jpg

Back
Top Bottom