Getting bumped down a list. Has this happened to you?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Solsken Farm, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been on someone's waiting lists for many months. I periodically check in, and hear back that the eggs aren't laying, or I am next on the list or the eggs aren't fertile, or a storm hit, or something.

Last week the breeder finally emailed me that my eggs would be mailed Wednesday of this week. I sent a paypal immediately. Wednesday rolls around and there finally appears an email at the end of the day. It says they will have to send more of one breed than another for my order. Only problem is I only ordered one kind. So I email back that I have been waiting for 3 months for this one breed. I have the trail of emails, as late as last week, discussing the particulars. They email back they don't have enough and will have to delay shipping. Now I have not heard anything. I have this sense that I keep getting bumped and they are shipping to others. I had this happen once before and learned the person had shipped eggs to a friend of mine, even though I had been on the list before. The breeder had told me over and over that she hadn't sent eggs since July. I called the breeder on it and she admitted she lied. [​IMG] So I think it is happening again.

I am getting paranoid. I try to be polite and pleasant in all my dealings with everyone. Do I have bad breath? Is it just me? Or has this happened to anyone else?

edit to add: PS. I don't want anyone to use names to bash anyone. I just wanted a general sense of people's experiences with buying eggs. I have had some GREAT breeders, and I have noted that on the breeders thread. So if you do reply, please don't use anyone's name. I would be happy to recieve emails if anyone wants to commiserate privately.

edited again to change the word 'some' to 'someone's'

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Sounds fishy to me. I'd ask for a refund.

3. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Same, Ask for a refund.

But then again, When I had to ship all my eggs, the girls stopped because a bad rain came through, and we had a cold snap. But three months is TOO long,

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

This is the main reason I don't and won't ever keep a list of buyers. Too many things can happen when you're dealing with chickens and Mother Nature. I don't want to have people waiting for eggs and then I have to tell them, the hens went broody, or started molting or whatever. I've been on lists in the past where things happened to delay the shipment of my eggs. Did the sellers lie? I don't know, but I kind of doubt it. It would be nice if our hens had an on off switch, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  5. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    No! Don't get frustrated and give up if you are on one of those marans lists... I got frustrated with an araucana breeder and really wish I hadnt given up now. If you must have those eggs, be patient. The breeder probably isn't evil, and may even send extras for your trouble.

6. Solsken Farm

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't think the person is evil. I just don't understand how, after being on someone's list for more than 3 months, and many times discussing what I wanted, they would not know who I am or what I wanted. I think, having been lied to by one person, I am now a bit skeptical. If it is being disorganized, I can understand, but not communicating isn't the best practice, from a consumer's point of view. I definitely will remember my experiences as a buyer if I ever become a seller.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

3 months isn't even that long to be on a list if it's for a very sought after breed. I was on Bev's list for well over 6 months for my Wheaten Marans. For some BLRWs from a certain breeder it was even longer.

8. Solsken Farm

I am not complaining about the time frame. I am not even complaining. I am seeking thoughts on someone not communicating, and not even knowing what my order is supposed to be. If I hadn't had a seller out and out lie, I perhaps wouldn't feel concerned about this experience. Timing hatches is tricky when coordinating with several breeders and I had other eggs shipped with the idea that I would hatch these with them. Now I am in a position of not taking them, or having to get another incubator. Also, the fact that they had no idea what I ordered when we have had at least half a dozen emails is curious.

I sure hope I don't sound like a whiner. [​IMG] I am honestly wondering if others have had similar experiences.

Thank you.[​IMG]

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would get a refund right away.

10. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I would wait. I have had a hard time getting eggs right now because the hens just aren't laying. Just because one breeder did something doesn't mean the other will do it. Besides I am sure it can get confusing when you have a list of people who all want your eggs. Sometimes if you don't have enough you can offer them what you do have and another breed, if they don't want it you offer it to the next person. So you really aren't being bumped. When they have enough of what you want I am sure they will let you know, though it may be spring before then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by