Getting chickens into coop at night.

Thank you rosemarythyme, we shall do that. I’ll let you know how it goes. 🙂
Finally get back! It took a while to find this thread too!
They are all sleeping in the new coop now, up in the roost, yay!
The first night, I put them up on the roosts and covered the doorway so they couldn’t get out. The next day we removed the old coop that they had been sleeping “on top of”, and after that they figured out where to go for night night, just in time before the cold weather set in. So I’m pleased that they like their new coop and they have been laying their eggs in the new coop’s nesting boxes.
(I have a camera so I can check on them at night and they go in just before sundown).

Attachments

• IMG_7031.jpeg
    IMG_7031.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 4
The first night, I put them up on the roosts and covered the doorway so they couldn’t get out. The next day we removed the old coop that they had been sleeping “on top of”, and after that they figured out where to go for night night, just in time before the cold weather set in. So I’m pleased that they like their new coop and they have been laying their eggs in the new coop’s nesting boxes.
(I have a camera so I can check on them at night and they go in just before sundown).
Glad to hear they're all moved in together!

The entire length of the roof, 36" has a vent as well as the vents on each side top which are 4 1/2 inches. Lots of small gaps around the doors and nesting box roof where it closes. Not big enough for anything to fit through. Our summer average daytime temp is 86° with very low humidity. Nighttime temps in the high 60's. Winter daytime temps are 50°. Last winter we had a few days in the 20's and nighttime temps in the teens.
We actually have a large building on the lower acre that they will move to. We need to jack up the building to make it level, put new floors in and build a divider as we are probably going to get a dairy goat. But for now they are in the coop up by our house.
Lots of small gaps don’t really count for ventilation (desirable) but create a drafty coop (undesirable). Ventilation should be well above the chickens’ heads and 1sqft of opening per chicken in the coop.

Hey, I’m just curious, if it’s OK that the gals sleep on two different roosts. I don’t know if they argue over who gets the upper & who gets the lower or if they just settle in, but they seem to just get up there… not really using the ramps and they don’t scoot over on the long roost that is higher than the shorter angled plank. Any thought?

Hey, I’m just curious, if it’s OK that the gals sleep on two different roosts. I don’t know if they argue over who gets the upper & who gets the lower or if they just settle in, but they seem to just get up there… not really using the ramps and they don’t scoot over on the long roost that is higher than the shorter angled plank. Any thought?
Yes it's fine. And don't be surprised if they move around or arrange themselves differently from day to day. Some birds seem to have set spots, but others might make adjustments based on who is next to them.

Back
Top Bottom