Getting chickens OUT of the coop..

vwap

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012
So I recently got chickens, and the weather around here was great. As it's been getting colder, the rain and wind have returned, I've decided to "close up" the coop.

So I took those two boards on the ground, and they've been placed into each of the windows on the coop. (the mesh area above is still open.) -- Ever since then, the hens take their time coming out of the coop during the day -- sometimes not until late in the afternoon. The food and water is all below, so I figure they'll come out when they're hungry (and eventually they do). Prior to putting the boards up, however, the girls would be downstairs every morning...

1. Is this a problem? If they don't care about being upstairs, should I? :)

2. Should I skip the boards and get plexiglass or some other clear "window" to cover the window during the winter? I'm looking for something that's easily/non-destructively mountable/removable..

Thanks!

As for the chickens, let them do as they please....they know what they want/need, so i wouldnt worry.
As for the coop, go with what u got or whats easier for u. just make sure theres no drafts when the cold wind blows...

Back
Top Bottom