Getting chicks into the hen hosue at night

mjolly

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
recently put my 8 week old pullets out into the newly completed run (hen hosue enclosed in the run) on Sat. night. I placed them in there the first night just before bed and no problems. It has been fun watching them explore their new surroundings. I have had difficulty getting them back INTO the hen house at night. Either I end up chasing them around the run and placing them in myself, or I wait until after dark and they are roosting on the turkey's 4ft high kennel (which is inside of the run as well).

Either way I am placing them in the hen hosue at night and then closing up the house at night. Double protection form predators.

Can anyone give me advice on how to "train" them to go into the hosue at night? Do you use treats or jsut keep "showing" them where to go until they get a clue.

Marva

I have heard on here that you need to leave them in their pen and/or run for a week or two to get them used to "home".

I took the advice and have no problems at all.

Ellie

I will keep showing them where to go at night then. Hopefully they catch on quickly!

Thanks!

I keep a light on inside my coop, if you don't have electricity out there you could use a flashlight lantern. once it gets dark they go in where it's light.

I also wait till dark to house them, but they seem to go in on their own. I did have to put some scratch in the coop the first couple of nights, but haven't had to since.

Our six six-week old barred rock chicks have spent the past 2 nights in their new coop. The past two nights we've gone out, rounded them up and placed them into the coop - much to their upset and protest.

Tonight, I looked out to see their little heads peeping out through the windows in the coop. They'd managed to navigate up the new coop ramp and find the roost all on their own before dark. WHEW!

I am relieved to know that I don't have to do the chick round-up again tonight...I only had to go out and close up the coop and unplug their light. They are ready for bed.

My only minor dilemma is the fact that temps are dipping into the mid 50s over the next couple of days and we have no heat lamp out in the new coop. The chicks are fully feathered and huddle together for warmth so I think they'll be ok. Here's hopin...

hu.gif
I must have backwards chickens - they go in FINE (after the first night of showing them their roost) - BUT they don't come OUT of the tractor (down the ramp) unless they are pushed on out!

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom