Getting chicks to trust you....

Juno's Chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 14, 2011
Berks County
Does anyone have any other ideas on getting them to trust you?? I'm thinking the best/only good way is to hold and handle them. Any tricks of the trade would be appreciated!!

I don't really know. Just handle them as much as possible. When they get old enough, to offer them treats and let them eat out of your hand. I have some that act like I'm gonna put them in the stew pot and others that will follow me around. Even those that follow, some don't let me touch them, and others let me. So it's hit or miss! Good luck

exactly....my BR hens follow me everywhere, but won't let me touch them! My production red and ONE of my BSL let me hold them like cats...weird...the little ones I handled the most..are gentle but I can only hold them if I nab them...luck of the draw...

I did not really handle the chicks (Easter 2011). Now, Penny is following me like a dog. She wants in the house and car. She likes to be pet and held.

Prudy is getting friendlier too.

I think they change personality when they start to lay. I may be the flock rooster.

It is amazing how they all have their own personality.

Use slow smooth movements, let them see you approaching from their fronts, don't grab them from over their heads (think spooked chicken and hawk attack)....just common sense things...get down on their level so you are less threatening, be patient, wait for them to approach you, as already mentioned hand feeding is the best one.

If I do put the treat on the ground instead of hand feeding, I scratch around it with my fingers, like a Roo or a Momma Hen offering food. It takes a day or two of doing this. But, eventually they will all come running to you with the scratch sound. Then in another day or two, they will all run squawking to you when you approach the brooder.

Do be careful. It seems my tamest batches of chicks produced the crankiest full grown roosters.

Last edited:
I start by locking myself in the 5X8 coop with all of them. 1 at a time I get them hold them even when they struggle talk to them very low baby voice and stroke and handle them each one daily.

Bribe works really well. I bring a bowl of rice or a treat like corn and hand feed them.

I now have Blondie who climbs all over me and one of the 7 weekers likes walking up my pant leg when I cup my hand for her to get a treat and she is getting brave

Every day is the trick. Now they wait at the coop door for me. My wife leaves for work at 7 am and opens the pop door and out they come waiting for me.

I agree with all the above..
smile.png

Mine are 6 weeks old now and I take a little time daily to sit in the coop with them. I dont' push them or try to grab them. I just sit and chat. Now I have 5 out of 8 chicks sitting on my lap, shoulder or head. Hubby just laughs and tries to get the camera to work.
lol.png

Quote:
yes i do the same...I go and sit in my 5x8 coop with them and just talk to them and offer treats...I try and do this everyday and now they come to me and all sit in my lap and will let me reach for them and pick them up...I am working on my 3 week old silkies at the moment..they are at least eating out of my hands.

Back
Top Bottom