Getting layed before laying?

luckyme3

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2019
I have added 12 hens and one rooster this spring to my flock of the same count. My older girls are in molt (which seams to be going on forever) so they are not producing but a random egg every here or there. My babies have not started laying yet but could at any time. I was shocked to see my baby rooster saddle a couple of the baby hens. They are approximately 7 months old now. My rooster happened to be a Jersey Giant.
Shouldn't these baby hens be producing eggs if they are being bred?

Your thread title made me chuckle.:lol:
Maybe some cockerels 'know' , most will hump anything.
How old, in months is your 'rooster'...and has he been mounting them before?

Here's some other tips about:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Your thread title made me chuckle.:lol:
Maybe some cockerels 'know' , most will hump anything.
How old, in months is your 'rooster'...and has he been mounting them before?

Here's some other tips about:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.
Thanks for your response and insight. Ok, so my cockerel is the same age as my pullets. Aprox 7 months. But being that my cockerel is a Giant, he is suppose to mature slower than the other breeds. I have a large mix of chickens in this flock.

The pullets must be close to laying then even stupid young the pullets attack a cockerel if they are not ready if they free range may need to look for hidden nest

Back
Top Bottom