Getting My 2 Groups to Use 1 Coop

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Very brief background:

I have eight chickens who happily share a large run and free range together part of every day (weather permitting). They use 2 coops. Five large breeds roost in the large coop. Three bantams, including my cockerel, roost in a small coop. Both coops open into the run. All of my birds get along well.

So we are likely moving to our dream home - a cottage by the sea. I will be converting an old shed to be a coop. It's 8 x 10ish. We are taking our run with us to the new house. The run is 232 sq ft.

Is there a "trick" or a strategy to get them to all share the new coop? Will it be easier since it will be new to all of them?

Thanks in advance!

If there is only one coop,,,, all will have to go into that one. I have 3 LF, and 4 Banties. All share one coop and get along fine. All chickens would like to roost as high as possible, including the bantams. What I did for my banties, is made their roost above the roost for the Large chickens. Also made it short, so the large ones cant fit up there. The small ones have no problem flying up into their spot. My coop is considerably smaller than your future coop.
If you make roosts in your 8 x 10 shed/coop in new home, just make them so there is a separation between them. This way everyone is happy sitting at same level, and not being offended by the other chickens, or crowded. My chickens (7) all get along.
I have always kept both bantams and standards together.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Will it be easier since it will be new to all of them?
Yes.
I'd just put them all in there at the same time.
Multiple feeders and waterers and places to 'hide' will help.

Part of my 'basic integration' notes:
The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Good to 'clutter up' the run:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

If there is only one coop,,,, all will have to go into that one. I have 3 LF, and 4 Banties. All share one coop and get along fine. All chickens would like to roost as high as possible, including the bantams. What I did for my banties, is made their roost above the roost for the Large chickens. Also made it short, so the large ones cant fit up there. The small ones have no problem flying up into their spot. My coop is considerably smaller than your future coop.
If you make roosts in your 8 x 10 shed/coop in new home, just make them so there is a separation between them. This way everyone is happy sitting at same level, and not being offended by the other chickens, or crowded. My chickens (7) all get along.
I have always kept both bantams and standards together.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Thanks! That's kinda what I figured, but I wanted to check with more experienced folk.

Yes.
I'd just put them all in there at the same time.
Multiple feeders and waterers and places to 'hide' will help.

Part of my 'basic integration' notes:
The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Good to 'clutter up' the run:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
My two flocks spend all say together. They only separate to sleep. Everyone gets along quite well, surprisingly! I had read so many horror stories about Silkies getting picked on, but my 2 are not even at the bottom of the pecking order.

They'll still have the same run space, but the new coop will be much, much larger! I will expand the run soon after. Gotta get myself settled first.
:)

My two flocks spend all say together. They only separate to sleep. Everyone gets along quite well, surprisingly! I had read so many horror stories about Silkies getting picked on, but my 2 are not even at the bottom of the pecking order.

They'll still have the same run space, but the new coop will be much, much larger! I will expand the run soon after. Gotta get myself settled first.
The two key things here are:
-that they get along OK during the day
-and new coop will be new to all, so no territoriality issues(at least over the coop, the feed/water might still cause some trouble.
When are you moving?

Back
Top Bottom