Getting my baby chicks used to my big babies..

I'm going through the integration nightmare. I'm currently posting my experience in my BYC page. Good luck and I hope they can get along soon!

welcome-byc.gif
to all of you, The bigger will chase and peck a little to keep them away, and show them who is boss. It is how nature is. As long as they are not hurting the little ones I let them be... I have 7 week old(4) that I had in a tractor. 19 standard hens and 2 roos. after the chicks had been in the tractor in full sight of the hens I let them free range together for a week or so, the little ones do keep to them selves. Last week the little ones decided to go in to the big coop at night. They sat on the steps and waited till the others were settled in then went in, the first night I was very nervous and put them back in the tractor. The next night they did the same thing so this time I let them stay. They share a large roosting area with one grown hen, she must be low man on the totem but she grudgingly lets them stay and they have run together for a week now. They still hang out buy them selves and will till they are closer to the grown hens in size. ...usually they don't mix into the big coop so easily the young ones get picked on more. but it does stop and I think if the big ones see you handle and feed the little ones they figure they better be have

sad.png
Chicken integration, Still not going all that well, but it does seem better. I just don't know how long I can take it. Does anyone have a guess as to how much longer this will take the babies are 16weeks old? I have since found out that one of the babies is a rooster and not a hen, so now the other three babies are not only scared of the big chickens but also him, because he keeps grabbing the feathers on the back on their neck and trying to jump on them. I keep the babies together seperated during the day in a makeshift pen they that keep escaping out of. I try to do a little chicken integration every day I open the door and let the babies come out into the big pen if they want, but spray the big chickens with water if they try to go into the little pen where the babies are. The babies have been going up to roost at night and get a little pecked at, in the morning they get pecked at more, and their is always some blood. Gizmo was just starting to get feathers back in and now this morning I see that the big chickens pulled them out again. I'm upset, should I build another coop, should I just throw in the towel and give away the babies? The hubby is fed up, so he is no help. I wanted to also add in the coop size. The coop is made out of an old playhouse, it is approximately 4x4 on each level, and then their pen is 4x10. Is that too small? We have four 36 week old ida browns and 4 16wk EE

Last edited:
I'm sorry you are having trouble getting your chicks in with your older girls!
he.gif
I think you need to make sure the older girls can see the babies and vis versa! Just make sure they can't get too them for at least one week is what I would do! I had very little fighting when I finally put them together, but the babies have stayed to themselves for a while.. They are slowly moving closer to the older girls on their own time! One day they will be all together and you will all be fine!
wee.gif
Just be patient!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom