Getting my chickens to lay in the Nesting Boxes

Tono1998

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 24, 2012
So I have 7 hens and a rooster. I keep them locked in there coop at night and till about 9 in the morning. I have put golf balls in the nesting boxes but they still will not lay in the nesting boxes. I don't know what to do to get them to lay in the nesting boxes. I have covered and taken awy some of the places they like to lay, but it would be impossible to iliminate them all.

Are these newly laying pullets? I had the same problem when my hens first started laying and same thing now with the new girls I added. I have found putting golf balls in the nest box or if your able to leave eggs in the box for awhile in the morning this should help. Are the nest boxes aprox 8 inches off the floor? And semi dark? I know they prefer to lay where its darker.

Are these newly laying pullets? I had the same problem when my hens first started laying and same thing now with the new girls I added. I have found putting golf balls in the nest box or if your able to leave eggs in the box for awhile in the morning this should help. Are the nest boxes aprox 8 inches off the floor? And semi dark? I know they prefer to lay where its darker.
Yes I have put golf balls in them and they are newly laying hens. And the nesting boxes are off the floor and dark. I will try to buy some wooden eggs and leave eggs in there. Thank You:)

Back
Top Bottom