1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting my flock on Sunday!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lori Hageman, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Lori Hageman

Lori Hageman Just Hatched

Jun 1, 2017
    Good Afternoon!

I was raised on a farm but moved to California after school. Now that the kids are gone, my husband and I purchased a few acres and starting our flock. I hope I'm not too crazy but ordered 12 chicks. I figured I'll just get them all at once and add a couple each Spring.

Looking forward to reading up and getting reacquainted with hens!

Lori

Mace Gill likes this.
  2. Mace Gill

Mace Gill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2017
    New Jersey
    Welcome! On our third of an acre we figure 12 is our max, started with eight, now have ten ... careful your chicken math doesn't get away from you and you end up with 40 or 50 :D WELCOME!!!

Lori Hageman likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your impending flock.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/learning-center.11/ and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

CT

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC -- I am so glad you've joined us! What an exciting time, starting out with your first flock - hopefully the next couple of days pass quickly for you.

5. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

:woot:woot Good times ahead! :welcome

Just please dont make the mistake of buying a pre-built coop with a claim that 12 chickens will fit in it. You'll likely, at best, get half in as they claim. Best if you can build your own. Have fun! ✌

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. It's a good idea to buy your chicks at one time. Chicks/breeds that grow up together usually get along well. What breeds do you plan to get?

7. vachick15

vachick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

:welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by